Upgrading My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_sharks86

Baseband Member
So I am planning a significant upgrade/rebuild. Here are the following parts I plan to order from Newegg.com:

Case:
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS M3A78-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780V Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Power Supply:
Newegg.com - Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
CPU:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Memory:
Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I am also considering an after market heatsink, let me know what you think about this.

In addition, I plan to use some parts from my current computer, such as my video card (nvidia 7950gto 512mb), hard drive, sound card, wireless network card and possibly some fans.

I have the following questions:
Will I have any problem fitting this power supply in that case?
I have checked and am fairly sure all of this is compatible, but is there anything that I am missing?

Keep in my mind that I will be using this for some gaming, but not high-end gaming. I will most likely be playing CS:S, Left 4 Dead, HL 2, COD 4 among others.

Thanks in advance, I don't really post here that often, but I frequently visit the site and enjoy reading and looking at all of the threads.

You should have plenty of room for the PSU.

You can upgrade to 4gb of about the same speed RAM. 76 bucks with a 30 dollar MIR. Only about 15 bucks more than that 2gb:

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Also, for 5 bucks more, you can grab this processor instead:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Black Edition, which means it's easier to overclock.

Good choice for the case there, it's really nice. Everything else looks good.

EDIT: Actually, you shouldn't need to grab 1066 speed ram. If you want to save a few bucks, go with these:

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Great timings, 30 dollar MIR. Cheaper.

I don't really have a budget, but I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality. I compared Intel's Core 2 Duo and AMD's Athlon 64 X2 and there was quite a price difference. I would prefer Intel, but I don't want to spend over 100 dollars on a processor. I don't have any plans on overclocking or doing anything demanding. As of now, my total is around 400 dollars and I would prefer to keep it at that or less.

Another question, I currently plan to use my nvidia 7950gto video card with my new mobo which will be pci express 2.0, will this video card be compatible as long as it is pci express?

Yeah, if you are going to have a separate card, go ahead and grab the intel there. ****, if you don't want to spend the 120 on the processor, grab the E5200, it's also a great overclocker.

I keep forgetting that curse words are filtered. I really gotta get out of customer service. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom