Can't Install XP Home on Toshiba Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaarenoc

Baseband Member
"I inherited a relatively new Toshiba Laptop with Dual-Core and 1 GB Ram. It has XP Home installed but it was corrupted. I couldn't install from the xp cd, or repair. The cd would start installing normally until 84% complete
then the error would start. Can't install this file or that file, etc.

I tried the recovery cd from Toshiba but Stop Code Errors showed up. I tried loading Linux from a Linux Live CD.
It wouldn't load up either. I finally managed to format and repartition the hard drive and tried everything again with the same predictable results. I think I'm stuck as to my next step.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Doug"

sounds like possibly the cd drive or hdd might be bad. also is the xp cd scratched up or possibly corrupted somehow?

"I inherited a relatively new Toshiba Laptop with Dual-Core and 1 GB Ram. It has XP Home installed but it was corrupted. I couldn't install from the xp cd, or repair. The cd would start installing normally until 84% complete
then the error would start. Can't install this file or that file, etc.

I tried the recovery cd from Toshiba but Stop Code Errors showed up. I tried loading Linux from a Linux Live CD.
It wouldn't load up either.
I finally managed to format and repartition the hard drive and tried everything again with the same predictable results. I think I'm stuck as to my next step.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Doug"

Since you can't run Linux from the drive, then I wonder about the CD-ROM drive as well.

I'd think more of the ram because of the stop code errors. Live CDs load into local memory, too. Mate you should download and burn the Memtest 86 ISO. Just google the thing and run it for an hour or so, see if any errors pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom