Computer Started Freezing Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it could be a driver problem. Usually I ask this earlier but have you checked Windows Event log to see if it listed any errors under its System Log?

The CPU Stability passed I assume? And you have only 2GB of memory in right now too?

So far So good, but I'm thinking about replacing my PS now,

Which one do you think I should get? I really would like a PC power and cooling PS however, I head their rebates are somtimes duds and that their packaging is very poor therefore they ship alot of DOA.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

PC Power and Cooling SILENCER 750W QUAD S75CF Power Supply Retail at ZipZoomfly

Am I comparing a Mercedes to a Honda here? Or are both PSUs pretty decent

I'm most likely planning to stick with my E8400 and Gigabyte P35, put some DDR3 (is that smart or should I stay with DDR2?), and buy a GTX 260/280 in 4-5 months.

Probably going to do some light overclocking.

Does my plan make sense? or should I rethink my future pruchases and direction?

BTW, my 8800GT card Idles @63 celcius, I called EVGA and they said its supposed to be at 50 c. I can do a warranty, but I know they send out recertified cards, not new ones. Should I even risk sending it in if I stop having problems?

Thanks!

If you are planning on getting one soon anyway and won't be really disappointed if your problem still persists after the change then go for it. We still haven't fully figured out what your problem is.

Both of those PSUs are of the top teir. The PC P&C 750 is a little better. Maybe comparing a Mercedes to a Lexus ;). Both wattages are good for your setup as well.

Thats true,

Ok update, I found through Rivatuner that my card idles at 66c, thats a bit high actually...

So, I bumped up the fan using manual control to "76%", now it drops all the way to 50c idle!!!

I load up Counterstrike, and see that even under like pretty decent load, the card only heats up to 65degrees under load now.

could this have been my problem? A overheating videocard?

Video cards can get upwards of even 100C boiling temperature before being damaged. The high temps could have caused a system shutdown though.

Ya, im really perplexed, so this hass been 3 weeks + and about 50 hours of my time so I decided to pull the trigger on:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4850 512MD3-DH Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Do you think I made a good choice for the parts, I felt I could have went into DDR3 territory becasue my MB has 2 slots, however the price difference was about double and the timings and reviews looked good on the ram.

Baez, what do you think about the video card I picked out, I know its not a high end card, but I figure its better than the 8800GT I have right now. If you know anything bad about it i'll definately return it.

Total 3 items with tax it was like 375 shipped - 85$ mail in rebates = 290 I think it was a decent deal.

I should be getting them in so I'll keep you guys posted.

Yo man...I have similar issues and I've been reading around for a few hours now and I highly believe it's my RAM. I have my "original RAM" from like 2 years ago in with new RAM I got about 3 months ago, worked fine until 2 days ago.

ONE SINGLE TIME on a boot up a got a blue screen of death for something dealing with MEMORY (RAM). Ever since then I've been getting a frozen computer every 45 minutes to 2 hours of useage (sometimes sooner than 45 minutes). When I go to manually turn off the computer and turn it back on right after, 90% of the time it freezes on boot up , making me have to leave the computer OFF for about 5-10 minutes before it will actually boot up to desktop again.

-ctrl alt del doesn't work
-sometimes before it freezes it gives me a preliminary freeze, a freeze for about 30 seconds and then within minutes it completely freezes
-I haven't ran computer temps and ****, I HAVE run spyware,spybot, avast, adaware, diskcleanup, defrag
-I did computer temperature and other pcu modifications/inspections about a month ago trying to figure out why Warhammer wasn't running (like inspecting computer temperatures and ****)
-That blue screen of death and the fact that I got 2 or 3 year old RAM makes me believe it's my RAM

Even though your computers only 6 months old. **** can go bad. Give your RAM a troubleshoot. I'm tired of messing with computer problems, I'm going to just drop money on hardware and hope it fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom