First post - First build - HT/Media/Multi-Task Build Reco's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power costs? Lian li cases are well insulated they don't make much noise pretty much anything they can do to reduce noise they do do even triple layering the panels in some cases.

Which reminds me meant to post this earlier its a mid tower rather then full tower case but you have cut quite a few bits out so doesn't really matter. Was going to get that case before I decided on my monster.
KustomPCs.co.uk - Lian Li PC-B25B Black Case

OK, so get the lian li I have no objection to that, it looks like a really good case. This is all I'm saying; he's already getting the new PC, he is already getting the RAID but if the dell has a spare PCI slot, why not get a new case (and probably PSU) for it then put it to good use by splitting the functions between the two machines? There are plenty of benefits to doing so considering that all the effort it takes is checking the dell internals are ATX standard.

Then you double up the power costs.... I originally was going to comment on the same idea right at the beggining but because he wants the front end to be a fully functional device and not just a slave pc wgich plays the vids from the master. Pentium 4s are power hungry little blighters.

ahh, yea that makes sense. the sound card would come in handy for the audio outputs on it, otherwise (unless i was running audio through HDMI on the gpu) i would need to use the mobo integrated audio right?

what about drives now? salty had a good suggestion to run 4 drives on RAID 5. i want the drives quiet but don't want to pay a huge premium for reduction in noise levels. (e.g. four $99 samsungs) if i run RAID 5 will all the drives be working at the same time vs. if i ran say two 1tb drives, only one would be running at a time (no raid setup)?

i know i want 3.0gb/s right as the baseline with a 32mb cache? but what in the heck, so many to choose from between samsung, wd, and seagate.... seagate seems much more expensive, notably the barracuda line?

is it worth running a 10k raptor for the OS/programs ?

overall i'd like to have 1.5tb of useable space however i set it up

dont know too much about raid, but if you want a fast quiet hdd for your os get a solid state disk for the os and possibly 3 500gb hdd's for storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom