GTX280 power question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
I'm getting ready for an upgrade, and have a buyer for my CPU and GPU. I plan on a Q9550 ( Not a huge upgrade but I multi task a lot and quade would help) and planned on the GTX260-216 but with the prices coming down, I was thinking of the GTX280, I keep reading that it is a power hog and a 650W is barely enough (I know reading the reviews LOL) But I just wanted to make sure, I just got the CorsairTX650W and know I got a good one, but just wanted to confirm what I believe. AMPS not WATTS are important and this has 52A

Thanks
Dauntae

I'm getting ready for an upgrade, and have a buyer for my CPU and GPU. I plan on a Q9550 ( Not a huge upgrade but I multi task a lot and quade would help) and planned on the GTX260-216 but with the prices coming down, I was thinking of the GTX280, I keep reading that it is a power hog and a 650W is barely enough (I know reading the reviews LOL) But I just wanted to make sure, I just got the CorsairTX650W and know I got a good one, but just wanted to confirm what I believe. AMPS not WATTS are important and this has 52A

Thanks
Dauntae

that psu should be fine, its better than my 700w ocz(i think), and my psu runs the 280 just fine.

550W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 40A or more*
*Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 processor

all the research I've done on my GTX 260 says I need at least 52A on the +12V side myself... I have read that the 280 needs almost 70A... but remember... you not only have to power the card, but everything else as well... so the more amps you can have, the better... (without breaking your bank, of course)

Dauntae, You'll notice a nice increase in the CPU. I went from a E6850 to this Q9650 (just a hair faster than the Q9550) and it was very noticeable. That PSU will work fine for one 280.

That's good to hear, Just waiting for taxes and ordering away. This had me worried because I just got the PS and have not even installed it yet then I read the 280 need more LOL Can't wait to get the 280 now, My 9800 GTX+ does plenty well with a little overclock but want to see what GTA4 will look like with the QUAD and 1 gig GPU

Thanks
Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom