quick upgrde recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
got all my parts today apart from the xig cooler which is on order, anyone think i should swap the e8400 for a e8500? its only about 20-30 buks extra

Nah, keep the 8400. The 8500 is the same chip, they basically just increased the multiplier. You can do that yourself, really, if you decided to do any overclocking.

i think i might get a graphics card..might as well..either
1GB 4850 Gigabyte $301
512M 4870 ASUS $365

only because i can get them tomorrow (shop is local)

would consider: 1GB 4870 Gigabyte $453 / ASUS $454
these are all from msy so they don't have specifics.

The 4850 would do you good. The 4870 is more powerful, but the lower cost of the 4850 would allow you to get a decent after-market cooler for it so it can be overclocked easier.

Either way, go for the higher memory if at all possible. My 3850 works great, but it's shortfall of GDDR holds it back.

hey im a bit confused with directX, these new cards support directX 10.1 so shouldn't there be a directx 10.1 installation? the card came with 9.0 and i can't find 10.1 at microsoft.com

DirectX 10 is part of Vista. It updates/downloads through updates, not stand-alone downloads.

oic. no prob then..
would you (or someone) happen to know much about virtualization? what would be the better host, Windows vista ultimate 64 or Kubuntu linux 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom