Is my hard drive dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried only one? Try only one in the first slot. If your motherboard has four slots try it in fourth if the first still freezes. Then do the same with the second stick if the computer is still freezing.

Pull the suspected bad drive off the system and see if it boots. My backup drive has been 'acting a fool' lately and when the BIOS can't detect it it will hang trying to detect it. Unplug either the power or data cable and see if it boots up fine.

At that point you'll want to run (as everyone else said) some tools on it.

I took 1 ram stick out and now when I turn the comp on there is no picture on the monitor and the power light on the monitor just blinks slowly. I checked the connections and they are solid. I put the RAM stick back and problem persists. I tried just the other ram stick and problem persists. I tried the other slot and problem persists. *sigh*

Ok I let it run with the one ram stick and after a couple minutes of that nothing it finally started to boot up and now I am at my windows screen, yay! I will see what I can do from here and let you guys know.

Do you have any other peripherals or cards attached to the computer? Remove anything plugged into the back of your computer except the mouse, keyboard, power and monitor. Remove any other PCI cards plugged in other than your video card.

Edit: Alright keep the setup like that for now. We can test your RAM later. Could be either your motherboard or RAM now.

And please do not double post use the edit function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom