i7 - Removing Stock Heatsink, putting on Aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
meh, it was all good, I got the pins straight again and it worked fine!

but I'm glad that Intel CPUs don't have pins... I'd rather have pins in the socket.

good luck though

Thanks; strangely enough, the Intel directions are still written as if they do have pins.

how so?

don't confuse my terms heh, I might've been a bit unclear. The Push-Pins are what connect the heatsink to the motherboard, the CPU pins are the things on the AMD processors

Oh, were you talking about AMD processor pins or heatsink pins? And Intel's CPU's don't have pins? The i7 didn't I don't think.

AMD uses pins, Intel uses pads. Cant bend pads :) Also, i'm selling my TRUE 120 if you are interested. Its already lapped, all you'd have to do is buy the 1366 kit for it.

Oh, were you talking about AMD processor pins or heatsink pins? And Intel's CPU's don't have pins? The i7 didn't I don't think.

AMD processors use a bracket locking system for their heatsinks and/or backplates while Intel CPUs use a push-pin system/backplates

AMD processors have actual pins on the bottom of the processor with holes in the socket of the motherboard while Intel processors have pads as Veedubfreak mentioned on the actual processor while there are pins in the socket.

yeh I learned the whole "ease it off" the hard way too, I was removing my stock heatsink and when I pulled too hard the CPU came with the heatsink and it took me about an hour with a toothpick to straighten then pins back out, but the CPU still runs just fine. *close one*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom