CPU Squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPavey

Beta member
Hi Folks,

I just recently built a computer, it isn't my first build but it certainly cost me the most money :). Anyway I am now hearing a high pitched, electric kind of squeal coming from the CPU or somewhere in that region. It isn't loud at all but it is just loud enough for me to hear when sitting close to my computer. I was just wondering if this was something I needed to be worried about. Should I get a new CPU?

I don't think the CPU can squeal. :p

Sounds like a capacitor. Could be something in the PSU, or could be a noisy fan. I don't think it's anything to worry about unless it's causing problems.

Squeal's are usually the result of a blown capacitor. If you can actually hear where it is coming from and its not the PSU, its probably the motherboard.

So would you recommend getting a new MOBO. It only squeals when something is working in the computer (web page loading, anti virus working, ect.) It doesn't take much for it to start.

Squeal's are usually the result of a blown capacitor. If you can actually hear where it is coming from and its not the PSU, its probably the motherboard.

No, it doesn't have to be blown to squeal.

If it only happens during a load, then it is probably the PSU. Can you list all of your specs please?

AMD Athlon 64 X@ Dual Core Processor 3.21GHz
4 Gigs RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800gt ( I just bought this)

Dynex is an utterly terrible brand. I reckon that is where your squeal is coming from, the cheap branded capacitors that it most likely uses.

I recommend you buy a decent PSU. I mean, just look at the name...Dynex. "Die Next"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom