First post - First build - HT/Media/Multi-Task Build Reco's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i think lga 775 with either the Q6600 or the E5200 is what im leaning for cuz i can save a lot more money there. is the Q6600 worth the price difference of $100? any other dual core or quad cores to consider or are those to the benchmarks respectively in their areas?

Btw my calculations were wrong before you get better bang for buck with 1tb drives not 750gb and the best bang for buck is 1.5tb but samsung don't make them why do you specifically want samsung drives you ask because they are the quietest :)

I was saying I7 as its going to be used for a lot more then just media centre but nvm. Get a E8400 or the Q9300 or Q9450, a p45 motherboard like the gigabyte ds3r, 2x2gb of ddr2 ram OCZ has some great after rebate bargains, the rest of the stuff you can keep the same from my previous suggestion

I would go with the 9800gtx+ aswell I went with the 4 series as its got an inbuilt sound processer but you would be using the audio from the asus xonar anyway *hits head against desk*

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Common CPU's

that's a great one as it has most cpu's on it, it doesn't have the i7's up on it yet though.

But i would recommend against a dual core as they aren't as good for what you'd like to do, quads are much more efficient.

are you interested in oc'ing it at all?

i 'don't think' i'd be in to overclocking unless it would be amazingly beneficial to. i have a feeling i would end up screwing something up in the process. on a somewhat similar topic, how do i monitor the temp of the computer, or do i do it component by component, BIOS? included or purchased software? basically how do i know if i need more fans, etc. or a better heatsink...

great site on the CPU's thanks. $70 price difference from the Q6600 and the Q9300, worth the difference? i'd prolly lean to save some bucks on the 6600. btw - i saw my old P4 on there, 7th from the bottom!

also, saltynay, you trying to make me broke here or what!?! haha, i know i didn't have a budget so you're not to blame...that sound card is pretty sweet, but probably too much for me... would a mid-range dedicated sound card do the trick? right now i stream audio to a full audio/av setup and play local music with some old klipsch 5.1 surrounds

It's up to you if that 70 bucks is justified or not. I would offer this advice though, overclocking is basically free performance, and it is noticeable in some tasks. The kicker though is the q6600 is a terabad overclocker now and you won't get too much out of it. Also the q9300 will run cooler.

It has massive performance boosts and its impossible to break a cpu doing it as there are to many safeguards. Bios is the most accurate temps but there are other programs when overclocking I use asus pc probe and speed fan running a prime 95 stress test for a couple of hours all free software. We will tell you :) you will need a better heatsink to overclock the stock ones are rubbish and it should be a default that you get an aftermarket heatsink whether you overclock or not. Q9300 is newer the Q6600 is 2-3 years old now and the latest batches have been rubbish overclockers the Q9300 will get to 3.8ghz on air the Q6600 gets 3.2ghz. The Q9300 has more ondie memory so is faster from stock speeds aswell.

Not trying to make you broke just give you the best a cheaper option would be the asus xonar DX but you lose some functionality

It's up to you if that 70 bucks is justified or not. I would offer this advice though, overclocking is basically free performance, and it is noticeable in some tasks. The kicker though is the q6600 is a terabad overclocker now and you won't get too much out of it. Also the q9300 will run cooler.

how do you know it runs cooler? thermal power used? haha, i dont know i was just trying to find some specs, but you probably just inherently know cuz your an expert.

overall, i'd be looking to keep the build (minus monitor keyb and mouse) at about 1000 to 1250.

It has massive performance boosts and its impossible to break a cpu doing it as there are to many safeguards. Bios is the most accurate temps but there are other programs when overclocking I use asus pc probe and speed fan running a prime 95 stress test for a couple of hours all free software. We will tell you :) you will need a better heatsink to overclock the stock ones are rubbish and it should be a default that you get an aftermarket heatsink whether you overclock or not. Q9300 is newer the Q6600 is 2-3 years old now and the latest batches have been rubbish overclockers the Q9300 will get to 3.8ghz on air the Q6600 gets 3.2ghz. The Q9300 has more ondie memory so is faster from stock speeds aswell.

Not trying to make you broke just give you the best a cheaper option would be the asus xonar DX but you lose some functionality

great explanation/suggestion. i think the Q9300 is the way to go for now. what mobo will pair well with this? i have seen a lot of previous reco's for those sunbeam coolers....i'll probably get one of those huh

Q9300 is pretty **** good from what I hear, probably worth the extra moolah.

Off topic, my processor gets a score of 414 on that list. Lmao, I feel so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom