Building First Computer - Progress and Help Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
That motherboard is totally awesome!.. It has the Current World Record Holder for the Highest FSB of any P45 Motherboard.. I don't see why you couldn't get a cheaper one though.. seeing as you probably are not going to overclock with it.. I have one sitting beside me..

The processor (Q9300) is completely compatible with that motherboard as both are CPU Socket Type: LGA 775.

Windows XP would work just fine.. but it will not support Direct-X 10 which is used in some games, such as, Crysis, Flight Simulator X,... for better visual effects.

Windows Vista is not a bad OS at all.. I will never go back to Windows XP.. Keep in mind that SP1 is out. Vista was never intended to be a major release.. so on your part getting Windows XP may be a better move and just wait and see what Windows 7 will look like.

You could go cheaper on the RAM and if you want to use 4GB+ of RAM you need a 64bit OS. About <=3.4GB of RAM will be used in 32bit. Just letting you know if you didn't.. But with Windows XP 2GB is perfectly fine.

and the 9800GTX+ is what I would recommend also.. it's fast enough to do just about anything you need it to.

If I were you I would look into overclocking with these parts.

I hope you enjoy the learning experience! sooo fun!

Hey, thanks for the detailed responce, you answered all my questions.

As for windows, I was thinking of using XP until 7 comes out, and I do need the RAM because the programs I will use (CAD) use alot of it, and the more the better, this machine comes out to be around my budget, so I think I will stick to those parts, like you said the Motherbaord is good, and as far as I understand worth the money.

I might overclock in the future, I do not have great knowledge in computers, and will need to do more research and understand the process, but with the parts being compatible, I dont see why not try it in the future.

From what I understand, when you overclock, it cuts the life time of the machine, but with the amount of fans and coolers I will get, I think it wont be too bad.

How will this be with games? I do play sometimes and do want a computer that can run the new games with a good speed and graphics.

Thanks

To be honest I havent played many games as of late since my 7 year old dell couldnt handle much, but I do plan to play Footnall Manager 2009, which isnt about graphics, more RAM and processing, and probably just shooters like dead space, fallout 3, call of duty etc and strategy like red alert 3 and whatever else comes out in the future.

As for the mother board, the one I had picked originaly I heared many good things and comes very reccomended, why do you suggest a different one?

Overclocking is a possibility in the future (once i know how to)

As I said this machine works into my budget so I dont NEED to go cheaper (but saving some money and keeping the quality is always nice =D)

Its cheaper and you wouldn't use the full overclocking ability of the original board as it is a serious overclockers board as in those who use phase change cooling or liquid nitrogen. Just trying to save you a couple of bucks as the quality will be just as high and you won't see much of a difference in functionality either. Get a gtx260 core 216 it will max out Fallout 3

Get this retains the 6 memory slots unlike the cheapest one on the egg and the msi one has awful reviews. Its quite a good overclocker aswell and as your not using liquid nitrogen cooling to overclock to the max it will be sufficient. What games do you play?
Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards $250

That motherboard is Core i7 compatible only I believe. and it costs too much for a core i7 system.. not to mention I think they will be replaced soon enough. A nice quad core is more than enough speed for me to be completly happy.. and I do a lot of file compression and such.. It's better in my opinion to stick with DDR2 and Core 2 processors for the time being.. unless you just love technology and want to venture out into the open and try the newest items at a greater cost.

In all honesty I don't think you would utalize any performance increase a Core i7 system would bring at all. and it would cost a pretty penny for a core i7 system.

And yes the 9800GTX+ will play any game you need it to well for quite some time.. I beat Crysis on medium on my 7900GT slightly overclocked card.. and my 9800GTX+ is a lot faster.. it will last a while. Your computer will play any game on the market everything maxed out easily except Cyrsis.. but I even think it will do Crysis reasonably maxed out. I haven't tried Crysis yet on my 9800GTX+ but it is a lot faster than my 7900 and if my 7900 did as well as it did.. With that system you wouldn't have to worry about speed issues.. especially if you overclocked to 3.5. You will probably take lagg out of your vocabulary.

If you decided to overclock one day, it is quite easy.. there are many experienced overclockers on this forum who would be more than happy to help educate anyone on the subject.

Note: I have never played Fallout 3.. so I don't know what kind of processing power it takes. But if you are an extreme gamer.. and not the casual gamer.. a GTX 260 Core 216 55nm is a very nice graphics card.. with room to expand in overclocking and it will maintain its value for a longer period of time. I still think though that a 9800GTX+ will satisfy you.

Yeah, replacing the 1366 would be a reeeeaaaalllyyy dumb move on intel's part. I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

Will be with us for a good 3 years yet I suspect and thats with serious R&D being pumped into after the 3 years it will probably continue to improve even if it is superceeded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom