Overclocking an XFX Geforce 6800 GT - Doom 3 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thanks a lot for your help, mate. Being in the UK, I can't call XFX now because the offices are shut, so I'll have to do it in the morning.

Although Doom 3 IS very GPU-orientated, no arguements, I'm sure the reason you get a better FPS is down to your CPU. Bearing in mind that my card absolutely cuts through Far Cry, all settings maxed out at very decent framerates. So if I could somehow test my card and Doom 3 out on a faster system, then I'd know for sure...

DoomUK said:
Well thanks a lot for your help, mate. Being in the UK, I can't call XFX now because the offices are shut, so I'll have to do it in the morning.

Although Doom 3 IS very GPU-orientated, no arguements, I'm sure the reason you get a better FPS is down to your CPU. Bearing in mind that my card absolutely cuts through Far Cry, all settings maxed out at very decent framerates. So if I could somehow test my card and Doom 3 out on a faster system, then I'd know for sure...

Yea, my system chokes up at Far Cry, almost to a slide show sometimes. I know your video card is WAY better, so its something else in your system thats slowing down Doom 3.

You shouldn't need your graphics aperture at max....although with the amount of RAM you have I suppose it couldn't hurt. And yes they say that the Ultra Settings are meant for a 512mb card so slowdown is expected. He was right about telling you to install the 4in1 drivers cause instead of running at AGP8x it'll run in PCI mode which is god awfully slow...I did that once...took the entire day before I realized I hadn't installed the drivers for the AGP slot ...derrr.......sure your computer just isn't bogged down with spyware and all that crap? Has it been a while since you've formatted or atleast Defragged? Have you exchanged out major components since your last format? Have you tried possibly formatting once and seeing upon a fresh install if your card will perform better? Have you got the latest video drivers...latest mobo drivers...latest bios drivers...latest video card bios drivers...etc..etc...

I just formatted last night, and defragged, scanned for viruses & spyware since...

But I've sorted it out now thankfully- I turned off the 'vertical sync' option which improved the fps somewhhat.

Interesting to note though that when I run a timedemo twice in a row, the second time I run it it runs a lot smoother than the first (regardless of settings).
Could someone please say exactly why this is?

Images have already been loaded through the RAM and VRAM once so it was easy to recall. I guess you could say its like doing math....first you stumble over it a little to get the answers, but once you've done the same thing you can do it smoother again. This is just my opinion really cause I don't know if its fact, but yeah I've noticed that before, I just think its cause the CPU and GPU have already 'handled' it once before or something to that effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom