E8400 Oc

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
E8400 OC - your thoughts?

Well I got the E8400 up to 3.87ghz last night @ 1.31v., was stable and temps never got too high. It didn't want to post @ 3.9ghz+ with 1.33v, so I'm going to check out how much more voltage I should push. Any thoughts? Opinions around the net seemed to be mixed on that topic.

Also, I'm not 100% sure the temps my motherboard's monitoring utility are accurate because it never appeared to break 51C under load after 30 minutes. idle temps are in the mid to high 30s. so I'm going to check out that situation. (stock cooler w/ AS5, btw). I downloaded CoreTemp and will try that tonight after work.

Once I find my max CPU speed, I'll see if I can get the RAM up close to its 533mhz rated speed. Right now, it's at 430mhz

all-in-all, I don't know if I like the cpu voltage much above 1.3v, so I might back down to 3.8ghz, where it was stable at 1.26v. I can tell that's near its limit, considering the massive voltage increase required to go from 3.8 to 3.87.

My main concern is my temps right now -- what are other folks getting on their OC'd E8400 and similar wolfdale chips?

I've done some net research, and the temps seem to vary WIDELY.

oh yea, specs:
E8400 w/ stock HSF & AS5
2x2gb G.Skill DDR2 1066 (link)
ASrock P43Twins1600 mobo

I just raised the FSB and got up to 4.1 Ghz. Temps are 38*C idle and during a Prime95 test get up to 60*C.

that seems like a really low temp too....you're on air cooling. i've seen number from other board where people are getting to the high 60s if not low 70s easily with overclocks. perhaps theirs are just abnormally high?

You should be okay up to around 1.39-1.4v. The max on the 45nm chips is 1.45. You might also want to make sure your not loosing any voltage from BIOS to Windows (vdroop)

oh true, good point (about the vdroop)

would cpu-z be the best way to check that?

also, should I be paying attention to the CPU temp or the individual core temps? I thought Intel said the CPU temp is what matters....

CPU-Z is good. Anything you use will show slightly different information I'm sure. I look at the temps on each core, but that's just me.

that seems like a really low temp too....you're on air cooling. i've seen number from other board where people are getting to the high 60s if not low 70s easily with overclocks. perhaps theirs are just abnormally high?

he said 38C idle, load temperatures are usually what you should be monitoring carefully

since all the temp monitoring progs i've tried so far vary so much, I'm going to boot into vista tonight, run it for a bit, then goto BIOS and check what it says my idle CPU temp is. then log back into vista and see which temp. monitoring program reports the CPU temp closest to what the mobo said.

sound like a good plan?

what programs have you used to check your temperatures?

and I'm not sure if the BIOs always reports the idle temperature... I would check, but im having problems of my own atm ;)

edit:

oh and doesn't the BIOs and some of the temperature monitoring programs use the same temperature probes or w/e to record the temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom