Is my hard drive dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob91

Baseband Member
So the secondary hard drive on my comp is having some problems. First I notice a bunch of data missing from the drive, and then I reboot my comp and find when I double click on the drive a message window pops up that says: "Drive not formatted. Would you like to format now?"

*sigh* Anyway to retrieve this data?

you could try a linux boot disk like knoppix, to try and recover...it sounds almost as if the index file is bad or corrupted

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I do not know what a Linux boot disk is.

My HDD did about the same thing.. and I went to the HDD manufacturer website and got a repair diagnostic tool and it fixed the problems. And thank goodness it was your secondary HDD that this happened to.. my problem happened on my main OS HDD.. lol :(

Yea, as Stealth said you will want to get that diagnostic disc. Run the full test to make sure there are no problems with the disc. If it doesn't make it through the test or if the diagnostic gives you errors then most likely the disc will need to be replaced (hopefully under warranty).

So my problem has gotten worse. I turned the computer off to open the case and check the brand of HD in there, and when I turned it back on it's stalling. The screen displaying the motherboard info (Asus A8V deluxe) will pop up but it just stays there. If during the first few seconds I press Del or Tab it will take me to the diagnostic screen where it checks the parts, and comes out saying everything (HD's, CD Drives) are ok. But then it just stays on that screen and does nothing. I was careful opening op the computer and didn't mess around with any wires, I'm not sure what to do here.

You are going to have to run some tools or something on that drive to test it.

Thanks Mac, but the problem right now is the computer not booting up. I'm literally stalled at the start screen and cannot do anything. I tried unplugging the bad HD but still no go.

Can you get into BIOS? Try pressing either F1, F2 or Del. Del is the most common but some boards do use the others. Press it over and over while your computer is starting up.

It's the delete key and when I press it it takes me to the diagnostic screen where it checks the devices (hd, dvd drives, which come out okay), after which it simply stalls again. So no, I can't get into the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom