hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
I have an old computer that I have been using as basically a song library and it had a lot of viruses and spyware which I eliminated after downloading the new antivirus software. After that, I used spybot to eliminate spyware and restarted my computer. Upon restart, it asked me to insert my windows cd and type in the registration # on the back of my computer (apparently something got deleted that wasn't supposed to). I did this and am to the point of reinstalling windows.

My question is, if I proceed to doing this am I going to lose my music (over 5,000 songs that I don't want to download again)?

Also, is there a way I can copy the music from that hard drive to my other desktop in dos or some way other than windows?

I'm not a computer genius but would really appreciate any help in resolving this situation. The only goal is to just salvage the music. I do not use that computer for anything else.

Thanks

John

And the computer I have this on is 6 yrs old and has/ had win 98 on it.

If I need to copy it to my current 1.5 yr old computer it has Win XP if that makes a difference.

So the data should transfer fine from win 98 to XP?

and

what drive should it go in or is there only one spot it will go?

I will take it apart right now and see what I can do with it.

connect the songs-drive to yer other pc and boot from the 'new' pc's HD (probably XP right) then you should be able to browse yer old disk

well, if anything was done in the registry (like running hijackthis but NOT checking to make sure it was okay to delete, or regcleaner), then go into dos safe and type scanreg /restore <enter>

keep choosing a date if it says failed (note, while doing this remove ALL additional peripherals!!). If this doesn't work, you can always revert the registry settings back to its first boot. just type:

ren system.dat system.123
attrib system.1st -r -a -s -h
copy system.1st system.dat

these are in the c:\ root directory, I believe

then restart the system and see if that'll work.
just to let you know, if you DID delete any system files (I hightly doubt that!) this wont fix it.

sounds like its just doing the repair installation....the repair installation of an OS is basically like re-installing it but it'll keep all your files there....you can even install an OS over an EXISTING OS and that too will just get you your HD to become bootable but won't delete any of the previous OS data on there. Your best bet is do like major said and make it a slave drive in another computer...then you can just browse the disk..back up your songs...and then format that slave drive with a fresh copy of win98 and copy em back over.

thanks a lot guys

I am just about done copying everything onto my newer computer and after that I am going to see if I can use killians45 suggestion to get the other computer working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom