Wd Hard Drive Detection.....has me stumped

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3vsop

Beta member
Ok, here is a strange problem for you guys. I just reformatted my C drive and reinstalled windows. Everything went fine. No problems there. The problem I am having is that my other drive, drive D:, is not showing up in windows now. Before the reformat it detected fine. I used the ASTRA32 program and it finds my other hard drive. Ive tried going into the bios and doing an auto detect and all of that, but still nothing. What do I do, any suggestions?

Mike

WD HD

Does the other Hard Drive show up during POST or within your BIOS? If it does but not within windows - you may want to remove all HD controllers within the Device manager and let windows redetect them after rebooting.

If that doesn't answer the question set each of the hard drive jumpers to CS (Cable select) this will allow the BIOS to determine where on the cable (1st HD, Primary, etc) each is located.

my C: drive, the one windows is on, shows up in windows obviously, and in the bios. the D: drive, (problem drive) doesnt show up in bios, or in windows, but like i said, that astra32 program finds it when i run it. and like I said before, both hard drives worked fine before, so I dont think I need to mess with the hardware. how do I remove the HD controllers?

Mike

If the hard drive does not show up in the BIOS - it would not show up in windows so the HD controllers would not be the issue.

I would reset the jumpers to CS on each to allow the BIOS to detect these. If they are not detected by the BIOS, and showing as installed during POST, they would not be detected / installed in windows.

You may try manually setting the jumpers to master and slave to ensure these are properly detected / installed.

both your drives may have been formatted.

go to Start/settings/control panel/administrative tools/comp manager/disk manager ,...in there see if your WD drive already has a partition on it(mayb u just need to assign it a dirve letter... if there's no partition already on it, that means it was formatted during windows install, but u need to manually select it and creat a new partition.

in the disk manager only my C: drive shows up. im pretty sure I only formatted my C drive, I was pretty careful, and I knew what I was doing with that. Im getting a new hardware box that is popping up for a raid controller. I dont have a raid controller. my hds are connected directly to my mobo. Maybe that is a problem? What should I do. I seriously dont think I need to change up my cables. my drives worked fine right before the reformat? :confused:

Can you please show me a screenshot of what is displayed in disk manager? I would like to see all hard disks detected whether they have a drive letter assigned or not

i also notice u never posted the size of your HD's.

if the WD drive that is not being detected is greater then 137gig's. u need to update windows to SP1 b4 it can be detected.

if its not recognized in the BIOS and you've tried setting the jumpers differently (both with cable select...one with masterw/slave, the other as slave....mixing up your options) and its still not showing it in the BIOS thats can sometimes mean a bad sign that the HD is fried....especially if its not showing up in the BIOS....because I've had HD's show up in the BIOS but not windows....it would seem if its asking you for a RAID controller its like wanting you to create a RAID-0 array or something? which would mean your other hard drive is formatted......get partition magic and see if it detects your HD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom