What is a system builder os

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an OEM copy and replaced motherboard, processor and RAM - then just hooked up my HDD's and booted into Windows without a re-install.
Worked fine for about a month until I updated my BIOS then couldn't even get to the login screen anymore.

Re-installed, activated (didn't register) no problems.
:shrugs:

Got it to work over the automated system finally. Not sure why it didnt work last time. So this makes 5 different motherboards and 2 different processors that i have used this key with :)

If you are replacing your mobo you will definitely loose your activation. All I've done is go through the automated activation (1-800 number). It won't work, but you will then be transferred to a live person (OMG...imagine that!) and you just give them the activation code and tell them you just changed your motherboard. They will ask crap like "do you have this installed on more than one machine...blah blah blah" and then give you the code to enter for activation.

PS - I've actually lost activation by just adding some more RAM, so you never know...

ill try this before re-installing a brand new copy.

may save me some cash. if not, then no loss.

You wont lose any money. Like i said, i'm on my 5th motherboard and 2nd cpu using the same oem vista key. You just have to use the manual activation over the phone instead of being able to just activate over the internet.

You wont lose any money. Like i said, i'm on my 5th motherboard and 2nd cpu using the same oem vista key. You just have to use the manual activation over the phone instead of being able to just activate over the internet.

no sweat, ive done that before when switching cases with xp os.
i will just tell em thats what im doing.

Yea, your key is still legit, it's just their way of making sure it's not used on more than one machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom