PC starts, restarts, then black screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDGreen92086

In Runtime
So I came home today from work, started my computer and went to the kitchen. Came back, and my computer seemed like it was sleeping, so I moved the mouse... waited.... and nothing happened. My mouse is a razor copperhead so it lights up. I looked at it and there was no light. So I figured I could just unplug it and plug it right back in just like 100 times before, shake the mouse and my monitor would come on. It didn't work, so I hit the spacebar and it still didn't wake up. I know it isn't my monitor because I'm using it on my laptop right now, just to make sure it works. So I'm not sure whats going on. I tried to replug everything back in, restart my computer, turn it off for a while, and nothing seems to work, so I'm here for some help. It is overclocked from a long time ago, so that might be it, but I don't have my overclock written down so I don't want to undo it unless that really is the problem, then I'll do it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Just an update.

I tested my ram by taking out one stick and trying the other, I did it for both sticks, and I substituting my 8800 for my old 6800 video card and the same thing happens. My hard drive light still comes on so I don't know if it that or not, I don't really have a way to test it but I hear it.

I tried resetting the CMOS by taking out the mobo battery, but it didn't do anything different. If the battery is dead would it cause the problem I'm facing? Just wondering.

@ iNiHs: Um, probably another computer?

@ OP:
So the computer won't power on at all, or it does power on and there's no display? Do lights come on/fans spin when you turn it off/on? Or does it just turn on for a sec then power back down? I'd say your best bet first is to try to clear your BIOS settings by unplugging the computer, removing the little coin battery for about 5 minutes, put it back in/plug it on and try to turn it on again. Yes it'll clear your OC settings, but having to reset your OC settings is better than not having a bootable system.

Edit: OP Posted while I was posting.

another computer? well maybe i'll just ask my question right now... hope thats ok

i just installed spores and when i try to open it i keep getting a message saying could not write license data! please dose anyone know how to fix that?

another computer? well maybe i'll just ask my question right now... hope thats ok

i just installed spores and when i try to open it i keep getting a message saying could not write license data! please dose anyone know how to fix that?

Please don't threadjack. Go to the appropriate section (In your case, the PC Games section),a nd post a new thread. Do so by clicking on the "New Topic" button on the left side of the screen.

@ OP: Can you try a different power supply?

@ iNiHs: Um, probably another computer?

@ OP:
So the computer won't power on at all, or it does power on and there's no display? Do lights come on/fans spin when you turn it off/on? Or does it just turn on for a sec then power back down? I'd say your best bet first is to try to clear your BIOS settings by unplugging the computer, removing the little coin battery for about 5 minutes, put it back in/plug it on and try to turn it on again. Yes it'll clear your OC settings, but having to reset your OC settings is better than not having a bootable system.

Edit: OP Posted while I was posting.

Everything does power on, the fans spin, I can hear the hard drive, and all the lights come on just like normal. It works just the same as if it was working fine, except the monitor seems to be sleeping and the mouse is unplugged, I just WISH that was the case. I can try the reset button, but all it does it wait a few seconds... power down... start for a few seconds, then restart and it does just how I described in this post.

Edit: I only have one power supply.

If you can, take the PSU out of another computer (or get one to test, and if it doesnt work then return it) and try that. If that's not it...it could be either CPU or the motherboard that's the problem since you already tried with different RAM combinations.

ok i am sorry i just couldn't figure out where i go to post a new thread... sorry again

I was looking at the parts and when everything started and the fans started to spin, the cpu fan took a second or two longer than the rest. Is that normal? If so, I never noticed it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom