January Sales- Best Laptop Deal? (Examples Inside- also post your own)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamando

Solid State Member
I've been biding my time for the UK January sales (we all know we're ripped off at Xmas), and the laptop that seems the best value for money is this:

HP G70-120EA with blu-ray drive: £469- PC WORLD

Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 Processor (2GHZ, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium
3GB Memory
160GB Hard Drive
17" Widescreen Display
Blu-ray with DVD
ReWriter Nvidia Graphics 9200 (256MB dedicated)
Wireless Enabled
Built in Webcam

It's got a WXGA high-def screen for the blu-ray, 3gb memory (can this be upped to 4gb if I wanted to?), 2ghz is a good speed I think.

Will this run smoothly and quickly? That's what I want from the laptop. I want good quality screen and images, want the internet to run quickly, and want to play music (although I'll be getting external speakers).

Anyone know if I can use the blu-ray drive to play dvd's through my TV??

Please post any other good deals you've seen, any help will be greatly appreciated.

It can be upped to 4gb if you wanted to however your OS would limit you to 3gb anyway as its 32bit I would assume so you would need to buy a 32 bit upgrade cd or borrow a friends and reuse the serial. Iam unsure whether OEM serials are attachted MAK the windows guru is just looking it up in this thread
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/legal-work-around-196195/index3.html#post1553730

Do you want to run this as an actual portable laptop as screen size has a major impact on battery life.

Depends on the tv I would assume the laptop to have vga out port which you can then use an adapter to component (majority of tvs accept) or a vga socket on the back of your tv.

I would check on dabs.com or ebuyer.co.uk for alternatives. Dabs didn't have anything particuarly special for laptops in there newsletter which I got earlier, although they do have some nice tv offers.

Don't by from PCworld they are rip off's, also they might not be around for much longer.

They went to online only distribution. Which has upset a lot of people that they wont get a physical copy anymore. Pay a subscription for a digital magazine is not what people want from places like that.

they are talking about a different PCWorld. It's a magazine in the states, but a shop in the uk from what i gather. but yeah financial difficulties as most retail chains are experiencing.

they are talking about a different PCWorld. It's a magazine in the states, but a shop in the uk from what i gather. but yeah financial difficulties as most retail chains are experiencing.

I forgot that PCWorld is a actual store in the UK...:eek:

Yeah Pcworld is having troubles as woolworths which is a major brand here just went belluies up aswell as habitat which is giant furniture/ home depot chain. Woolworths is in a coalition of stores and with its closure the coalition is struggling which means many of the big UK retailers might not be here in a years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom