Most powerfull individual cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the e8xxx around 2.5x faster clock for clock compared to the last version of the P4? (on average)

Yeah like I said on average and clock for clock so say 3.6ghz e8xxx vs 3.6ghz P4 (last version)

Average for whom a gamer, a granny, a CAD designer or a media editting guru to many factors for such a defacto statement.

Average for everything. Though 2.5x probably is to high since the p4 was pretty good at video editing.

Daro you are missing the point the average would be the general consumer who most techies are not so a branded statemement can't be made to many factors involved. Quazibee i read your first post I know that your a designer style power user this is a bit OT

Quazibee:
In basis a C2D E8400 will get you the highest single core speed with overclocking however a Q9300 or Q9450 may be needed as CAD and modeling apps in my experience often utilise multiple cores.

I was just trying to keep this on thread on the track I needed it on.

I can say with all certainty, and with much dismay, that Tekla will not, nor do they ever have plans to, utilize multiple cores. =(

On the bright side, I now get to build 3 new kick *** systems. What kills me is that they charge so much for the Quadro FX line of video cards, I can understand why but it still kills.

Daro you are missing the point the average would be the general consumer who most techies are not so a branded statemement can't be made to many factors involved. Quazibee i read your first post I know that your a designer style power user this is a bit OT

Quazibee:
In basis a C2D E8400 will get you the highest single core speed with overclocking however a Q9300 or Q9450 may be needed as CAD and modeling apps in my experience often utilise multiple cores.

Ummm I think you may be missing my point since on average means the average performance of the chip across things that the cpu does. As in the things you mentioned like games, video, cad, etc. Of course some things will be faster or slower and not everybody will do everything but you can make a rough average based on performance of the most used programs in each catagory. Then narrow it down based on what the person will mainly use. Quick example Charts, benchmarks CPU Charts 2008 Q1/2008, Cinema 4D Cinebech shows the e8400 being ~2x as fast as a 3ghz Presler Pentium D and Charts, benchmarks CPU Charts 2008 Q1/2008, Unreal Tournament 2004 is 2x as fast so find a few more programs like that and some cad and some encoding reviews and you can get a ROUGH estimate. I gotta go so I can't find any for Cad but I bet the e8xxx is a lot faster clock for clock than a pentium D.

To the OP I would go with a e8xxx or a core i7 but the i7 cost probably isn't worth it if your never going to use the other cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom