Major computer problems, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shades9323

Baseband Member
The other day, I get this pop up window wanting me to install some antivirus software. I try to close it and it keeps coming back. So I shut the computer off and leave it for the night. Try to get on it the next day and it won't completely boot. It took a few tries restarting to get it to boot. It runs for about 5 minutes and gives me a blue screen. For the life of me I can't remeber what it said.:eek:

Now I can't do anything. I can boot in safe mode, but can't really do anything within safe mode. I tried a system restore, but the comp wouldn't let me do it. I dl'd malwarebytes and alvira to my laptop, burned it to a disk and tried to install it in the desktop in safe mode(the only way I can get it to boot), but I kept getting errors.

I don't know what to do or where to start.

Sounds like the hard shutdown resulted in something getting foobar. The IE page was simply a browser hijacker that slams you into the page there and wouldn't prevent Windows from loading normally unless something managed to get on the drive.

Which version of Windows are you running there? The fact that you can boot into safe mode means you will likely be able to fix one problem while the one shutdown wouldn't prevent Windows from loading unless there were others.

IMO you have spyware and malware that has messed w/ your computer and boot files and/or drivers.

If you have XP you should do a repair install. Yes i know it may take a while to reinstall SP3 and the various updates, but in total that would take you maybe a few hours, about 15 minutes of actually being at the computer terminal. At that point the malware and spyware will still be on your computer, but it won't be effecting your OS. The FIRST THING, i'm talking about before updating windows run Spybot S&D and Avast AV.

That should resolve your issue.

The blue screen error is more of a concern there if you see that again. In either XP or Vista you can disable the auto restart in order to keep that on long enough as well as looking at the information seen in the event viewer.

For XP review the information on how to read the log files after getting into the control panel>administrative tools.computer management section. How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

It's basically the same method used in Vista as well for reviewing the list of logs.

I am using XP pro. The computer is a Dell that I got 6 years ago. I have made no upgrades to it.

How do I do a repair install? Is that with the disk that came with it? And will that erase all my pictures and stuff?

Got the computer to boot long enough to install and run "adaware" and "malwarebytes". It seems to have made me more stable.

You may simply cleaned up a few minor bugs while if that's the original installation for all 6yrs. the system registry itself is now obviously very polluted. Besides the likely need to see a fresh clean install of Windows go on you may want to start backing things up in case of a hardware failure on a system that old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom