Help me hit 4ghz :D (E8400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
im using crucial ballistix ram. 2gb right now, another 2gb on the way. VID should be in the CPUz pic?

CPUz only shows your voltage. Use CoreTemp to get your VID.

EDIT: And 1.5V is a little high, Intel says 1.45V is max.

Once you get your cooling issues worked out do the following to get your desired clock...

As CrazeD said, the formula is FSB * Mulitplier. But the actual FSB in the BIOS is also 4x higher. So for instance...take your desired speed (4000 Mhz) and divide that by your multiplier (in my case 9). That will give you 444 Mhz. Then multiply that by 4 to get the setting you enter into the BIOS (1777 Mhz, actual FSB). So: DESIRED OC / MULTI * 4

This is acutally a backwards way of getting there though because it doesn't take into account the voltage. Do as CrazeD suggested by upping the speed incrementally until you loose stability, then up VID and keep going until you reach the desired FSB (1777)

Once you get your cooling issues worked out do the following to get your desired clock...

As CrazeD said, the formula is FSB * Mulitplier. But the actual FSB in the BIOS is also 4x higher. So for instance...take your desired speed (4000 Mhz) and divide that by your multiplier (in my case 9). That will give you 444 Mhz. Then multiply that by 4 to get the setting you enter into the BIOS (1777 Mhz, actual FSB). So: DESIRED OC / MULTI * 4

Oh, right. I'm an AMD guy... my bad. :p

Man I would say start from square one on you WC. Really take your time and plot out the paths that the water will be taking. Remember you want to keep the bulk of your water away from any heat with plenty of air circulation. Pump to CPU... CPU to RAD... RAD to Res....Res to Chiller or another RAD.... Back to pump again. You can get alot more complex than that as well. Also try to keep the pump lower than the bulk of your water to make it easier to move the water. And AIR AIR AIR lots and lots of AIR... Water cooling can be lots of fun to toy around with, make sure you leak check and double check and do a test run with computer off first. I will be using Oil in my next project and I have gotten some great ideas from Aspire and a few others.

Oh and what number are you starting with again?

Man I would say start from square one on you WC. Really take your time and plot out the paths that the water will be taking. Remember you want to keep the bulk of your water away from any heat with plenty of air circulation. Pump to CPU... CPU to RAD... RAD to Res....Res to Chiller or another RAD.... Back to pump again.

Loop order really makes no appreciable difference in overall performance as the temperature in the loop hits equilibrium after about an hour and temps vary by as little as 1-2 degree throughout.

Oh, right. I'm an AMD guy... my bad. :p

Intel chips overclock with multipliers and bus increasements. AMD does the same thing, except they don't handle bus increases as great as Intel chips which handle absurd increasements to the FSB.

Intel chips overclock with multipliers and bus increasements. AMD does the same thing, except they don't handle bus increases as great as Intel chips which handle absurd increasements to the FSB.

All non "Extreme Edition" chips from Intel have a capped Multi so you really can't overclock with that.

Loop order really makes no appreciable difference in overall performance as the temperature in the loop hits equilibrium after about an hour and temps vary by as little as 1-2 degree throughout.

True, true, but for the over all temp and workload on pump its good. You just want all the fluid to be able to shed as much heat as possible before returning to the CPU or what ever it is that you are cooling.

Dude if you want to get to 4G you really need to consider that you may need to chill your water somehow.

Dude Zmatt got 4.00ghz with his E7200? with a sunbeam Core Contact.

All the E8400 needs for a 4.00ghz overclock is to lower the memory speed and increase the FSB to 450~

True, true, but for the over all temp and workload on pump its good. You just want all the fluid to be able to shed as much heat as possible before returning to the CPU or what ever it is that you are cooling.

Dude if you want to get to 4G you really need to consider that you may need to chill your water somehow.

It's a 3ghz chip, 4 ghz is an easy overclock for it.

I was running a 1200mhz overclock on my e6600 for about a year...

How does the workload change on the pump according to loop order? As long as the res or t-line feeds the pump inlet IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE ON ORDER.

I'll say it again, LOOP ORDER DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Basically put the loop into your case however it fits with the best tubing routing.

Whether the water goes through the radiator right before or right after the cpu it still winds up dissipating the same amount of heat.

People may recommend that you set up the loop in all kinds of different orders, but they are generally incorrect.
Order doesn't matter!: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=177218
Because the water temperature is fairly even throughout the loop, order isn't important. The rule of thumb is to set things up to minimize the number of sharp bends and the total length of tubing. Avoid 90-degree elbows whenever possible! They kill flow and make the pump work harder.

loop order - [H]ard|Forum

In what order should water cooling components be installed? - The Tech Repository Forums

"While the pump can introduce heat by effectively being submerged, the flow rate of the water is such that it makes little difference. Remember, while most pumps aren't submerged, the coolant still passes through it. The water is in the pumps vicinity for such a tiny amount of time, it results in making no difference in reality.

In short, if you have differing temps at different parts of the loop, your flow rate is not high enough. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom