DoomUK

Daemon Poster
I've just overclocked my 6800 GT, from:-

Core clock frequency: 350mhz
Memory clock frequency: 1.0ghz

To:-

Core clock frequency: 399mhz
Memory clock frequency: 1.10ghz

I don't see any FPS difference in Doom 3. Is this to be expected? In the overclocking utility, there is an option to select 2D performance/3D performance, and I've used the 3D performance option. Am I doing something wrong?

You will not be able to see a difference when raising the core by 49 Mhz.

I would not recommend pushing it further without the proper cooling. :)

DoomUK said:
I've just overclocked my 6800 GT, from:-

Core clock frequency: 350mhz
Memory clock frequency: 1.0ghz

To:-

Core clock frequency: 399mhz
Memory clock frequency: 1.10ghz

I don't see any FPS difference in Doom 3. Is this to be expected? In the overclocking utility, there is an option to select 2D performance/3D performance, and I've used the 3D performance option. Am I doing something wrong?

What settings are you playing Doom 3 on, and are you getting a framerate problem.

Re: Re: Overclocking an XFX Geforce 6800 GT - Doom 3 performance

beedubaya said:
What settings are you playing Doom 3 on, and are you getting a framerate problem.

Ultra quality, 1024x768, with 2x AA (bump mapping, weapon decal etc all turned ON).

After I've OC'd, when I run the time demo I'm getting around a 37-40 FPS mark. Setting it to High quality makes a difference, but with Ultra quality it makes little difference if I play on 1024x768 w/ NO AA, 1152x864 w/ NO AA or 1280x1024 w/ NO AA.

I read somewhere (I think it was the HardOCP benchmarks) that Ultra quality was designed with 512mb cards in mind. Any thoughts/views?

Re: Re: Re: Overclocking an XFX Geforce 6800 GT - Doom 3 performance

DoomUK said:
Ultra quality, 1024x768, with 2x AA (bump mapping, weapon decal etc all turned ON).

After I've OC'd, when I run the time demo I'm getting around the 38 FPS mark.

Hmmm..wierd. Wouldn't expect a performace problem like that with a 6800GT. Have you increased you AGP aperture size? If it still gives you problems, turn the settings down to high. At 1024x768, there is no difference between High and Ultra. You start seeing the difference at very high resolutions. Plus, Ultra quality is supposed to have a 512MB card. What are you other system specs, because there has to be something else causing the bottleneck. I get 40.1fps running at those same settings on the timedemo, and your card should smoke mine. What is you in-game FPS?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Overclocking an XFX Geforce 6800 GT - Doom 3 performance

beedubaya said:
Hmmm..wierd. Wouldn't expect a performace problem like that with a 6800GT. Have you increased you AGP aperture size? If it still gives you problems, turn the settings down to high. At 1024x768, there is no difference between High and Ultra. You start seeing the difference at very high resolutions. Plus, Ultra quality is supposed to have a 512MB card. What are you other system specs, because there has to be something else causing the bottleneck. I get 40.1fps running at those same settings on the timedemo, and your card should smoke mine. What is you in-game FPS?

The bottleneck is probably my CPU:-

2.17ghz AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1.5gb of PC3200 DDR SDRAM

My aperture size is set to 256.

I think (I'll have to double check) my in-game fps is between 37 and 59+, depending on the particular area of the game.

No, that CPU is fine. You don't need an AMD 64 for Doom 3. The fact you are running on Ultra settings is probably it. Todays cards can't do it with maximum efficiency. What is your score on high?

OK, I've set my aperture sixe to 512 (and remember my card is still OC'd). On high quality/1280x1024/NO AA I get 37.8. Surely I should be getting higher numbers than that?...

You definately should. The 6800GT smokes my card in Doom 3, but you are getting pretty much the same results I am getting. what to you get at 1024x768, high quality, NO AA? I get a very good 52.1FPS at those settings, and it doesn't look all that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom