Most powerfull individual cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuaziBee

Daemon Poster
I'm running a modeling application that doesn't utilize multi-core processors. What processor will have the most powerful individual cores.

Should I just go for the highest ghz dual core or will the extra instructions and other advancements of the i7 be most beneficial.

I don't really have a budget yet, the modeling team leader just wants the "best there is".

Well, an i7 would be the fastest per clock, as it is the newest and best architecture out. But, when overclocking comes into it the game changes slightly. Because all i7s are quads they are a bit harder to overclock compared to dual cores. Also, the i7s hyperthreading would mean diddly in this case. So your best bet might actually be to get something like an E8600 and overclock it to around 4.0Ghz. That being said, i7s have been known to get to 4.0Ghz on air - and they will be around 10-20% average faster clock for clock.

So it really depends if you want to overclock and how much your willing to spend. I would lean towards an i7 for pure speed, but it seems kinda silly to get a quad core if your only ever going to use 1 core.

What modelling program is it?? Is it 3D modelling? If so there are a range of renderers and products out there that will utilize more than a single core.

I don't think it would even need above 4 GHz.. Did you try using the modelling app with a pent 4? Maybe you can OC it, if you have one. Should be enough for it, and it's really cheap to build, if you don't have one.

Pentium 4s always ran a bit hot they didn't make very good overclockers amd was much better.

I would say a I7 920 and a fast hdd with 6gb of ram clock to the I7 to around 3.8ghz and you will be laughing. You are using tech which is 4+ years old now ofcourse its going to be slow, although I don't believe old hardware is pointless using a P4 for power applications is quite a mistake if you have a sufficient budget to get new hardware.

I know this isn't exactly what you want, but the PS3 is essentially a "single core" processor. It just has some unique additions known as SPU/SPE's. But, even if you could get your program to work on Linux on your PS3, the program probably will not take advantage of the PS3's core.

Basically what I want to know is, would an E8600 be essentially two P4's on the same die or is there a major architectural difference?

:eek: and you have 500+ posts... :eek:

Siplified a tad:
The pentium 4 architecture and strategy was simply to try and get the highest speeds with the most clock cycles. Amd's strategy was to have lower clock cycles but more done with each cycle. Amd use to plug fun at Intel as there processors were numbered 4200+ which meant that it was the equivalent in there benchmarks to a pentium 4 clocked at 4.2ghz when their processor was only running at 2.6ghz (probably not the correct figure but its an example). Intel hit a heat barrier with there pentium 4's which at the time meant they were fairly stuffed. They then released the C2D range which used a similar model to AMD with low clock speeds but more done in each cycle. There C2D range has been going from strength to strength and AMD has never fought back the only reason to go AMD at this exact moment is for a sub $120 motherboard cpu so extreme budget builds.

The E8600 is the final C2D and the second generation with a 1337mhz fsb speed it also uses more modern manufacturing processes so runs faster and cooler and produced cheaper. The third generation of intels big plan is the I7 cpu's which are faster then there 775 rivals however atm they do run a tad hotter but thats to be expected as its a brand new endeavour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom