Help me hit 4ghz :D (E8400)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no WC expert, but I'd say the excessive length of tubing and the fact that the radiator is laying down and in a spot with no airflow, is your cooling problem. That, and your horrid wire management. :p

Make sure speed stepping is off in the BIOS, and then increase FSB until it is unstable. Then, raise the VCORE by one increment and raise FSB until it is again unstable. Rinse and repeat until you're no longer stable by VCORE alone, and then come back. Also, stop VCORE increasing at around 1.375V - 1.4V, you really shouldn't need that much for 4GHz.

Also, turn your memory divider/frequency down so that it doesn't get overclocked as well. You should be able to hit 4GHz without too much problem.

will try overclocking when we solve my temp. issue lol. And yes, wire management is horrid but theres not much I can do. This case actually dropped my mobo temp 10c, airflow doesnt effect my cpu too much due to water cooling. I think my tube length is ok?

There's a lot you can do.

On the first pic, move the 8 pin (I think) wire so that it's not drooping over everything. Put it under the graphics card notch or something.

Ziptie all SATA cables so that it is one strand, not individual.

Bundle loose wires into one strand, and then tuck them out of view or against something solid.

Bundle extra unused connectors and stuff them in an empty space.

EDIT: Also, I think your tubes would be a lot shorter if you mounted the pump somewhere else. Like, maybe on top of the PSU or something. It seems unnecessarily far away from everything.

But again, I'm no WC expert...so don't listen to me. :p

yes, actually just put a new E8400 in there, so it is re-mounted. I am using MX-2 paste (Petra's tech shop recommended) and just put a pea sized drop on the cpu. Loop has been running for maybe 8 months now? distilled water has already been changed/flushed once (with additive from PTS). Just tried the Rad on its side and pump all the way up, no difference. Isn't this ridiculous aspire? This is why I HATE water cooling lol.

Well try remounting again with the same cpu.

A Pea size is too much for a cpu. You should be looking more along the lines of 1 or 2 grains of rice sized. The pressure between the block and the chip is enough that it will create a paper thin layer between the two.

Well try remounting again with the same cpu.

A Pea size is too much for a cpu. You should be looking more along the lines of 1 or 2 grains of rice sized. The pressure between the block and the chip is enough that it will create a paper thin layer between the two.

Ah, finally somebody agrees with me there. :p

For single/dual core, usually a very small bb-sized drop in the center is good. For quad core, use a slightly bigger drop (because it has to spread further).

wow, never thought of putting the pump on top of the psu, that will take some length off definitely. Should I order some 90 degree fittings too? Use the mount kit that came with it (replaces rear fan and hangs off the back). I wont be cutting tubing and stuff today, (freezing outside, no time atm). thanks for the great suggestions guys. Now, to the OCing :
*EDIT* wait, if I put the pump on the psu... where will the t-line go? -.- gah!

Use a 1.5Vcore and raise the bus speed from 333 all the way up to 450 for a 4.00ghz over clock.

Seriously, I thought the E8*** chips had like at least 10+ multipliers.

im using crucial ballistix ram. 2gb right now, another 2gb on the way. VID should be in the CPUz pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom