What is a system builder os

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't reformatted Vista yet, and when I switch out hardware I just call M$. Does it not give you a 30 day countdown anymore?

No it doesn't, but this happened with my Vista 64 bit OEM when I changed motherboards, and it was a big pain.

I'm sure a call to Microsoft and they would clear it up though. On this install, I've yet to encounter that problem.

the OEM disk is fine tbh.. if you need to reinstall you can call and say that you had to reinstall and that you can verify all that info.

All it really means for you is that Microsoft won't support the software. System builder discs are for system builders who provide support for the whole machine...software included. If you know how to use your computer and reinstall Windows and stuff an OEM disc would be just fine.

I tried doing the call in activation but it didnt work and was going to put me through to a live person, after holding for 10 minutes i hung up. It doesnt affect anything having it unactivated anymore.

I tried doing the call in activation but it didnt work and was going to put me through to a live person, after holding for 10 minutes i hung up. It doesnt affect anything having it unactivated anymore.
Are you sure about that? I thought after a certain amount of days unactivated particular services on the OS will stop working...

Straight from Microsoft:

What happens if I don't activate Windows?
If you don't activate Windows within 30 days after installation, you will not be able to use every feature of Windows. You can regain full use of your computer by activating Windows.

heyheyhey now.

i have a copy of vista sitting behind me, but i will be replacing my mobo this week, are you guys saying i can still use the vista copy i have now?
just call up M$ and tell them i re-installed?

i had no problems switching out the cpu this week (well no problems with vista)

If you are replacing your mobo you will definitely loose your activation. All I've done is go through the automated activation (1-800 number). It won't work, but you will then be transferred to a live person (OMG...imagine that!) and you just give them the activation code and tell them you just changed your motherboard. They will ask crap like "do you have this installed on more than one machine...blah blah blah" and then give you the code to enter for activation.

PS - I've actually lost activation by just adding some more RAM, so you never know...

I did notice something odd last night that has to be due to not activating. My wallpaper keeps getting set to a black screen. So far thats the only oddity ive run into with not having my vista activated. Guess i'll try again tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom