55nm vs 65nm core 216

Status
Not open for further replies.
no the musashi actually is a fantastic and stylish cooler. it lowered my gpu idle/load temp like 10-15*C. so, it works frikkin awesome.
the problem is the VRMs on the 4870 which are extremely HOT and the musashi doesnt take that into account. with the stock base plate and the musashi in place the temps were OK a little higher than stock. when i took the base plate off and used heatsinks...lol holy crap they got hot real quick like. so, i could still use the musashi and base plate and get pretty good results. but i put the stock cooler back on the 4870 and cleaned up the musashi to sell on ebay in a smokin package deal. plus, i want to unload it before the new gen of nvidia cards come out and i have a card i cant get squat for. i already have a gts 512 for a backup, i dont need another one. if i sell it within a few weeks i can cover the cost of a new card. that (hopefully) wont make me tear my hair out. i dont know why i had so much trouble with this driver set, but i did. never really happened before. it ****ed me off enough to decide to get another card.

lemme see which card i am going to buy first. but yeah i could probably do it. i was going to put the card and musashi on fleabay for like 230 for both and like 6 bucks shipping or something.
i was going to use it as a bonus to sell my 4870 quick, but i'll know for sure when i figure out which card i am going to get if i need to or not. ...*waits for nos to show up and direct*...

a word of warning phil...if you get this one or another one make sure your ram chips are CLEAN or the heatsinks wont stick for crap. if you buy mine i'll toss in a bunch of thermal tape, but yo9u'd probably want to use arctic silver compound.

yhea i've got some artic silver 5 on there now and i am using the stick thermal pads for the mem. i probably would clean the card off with alcohol before new install.

which one? i've read the stock cooler aint the greatest on the 55nm...so it probably doesnt really run any cooler.
the 55nm is 10 bucks cheaper at the egg.
i'll probably wait for a free shipping deal.
thats right, i've decided its time to change graphics cards again.
opinions? thoughts? advice?

yes i am going to give evga another chance to win my love and keep it this time.

just saw EVGA 280 for 310 or something after MIR (which i hate)

EDIT 1: the 55nm also comes with FC2, thats cool.

EDIT 3: also have a 9800gx2 for two-fitty. thats el cheap. no game though. and its BFG...dont know bout them. our T.F. graphics rankings place a gx2 above both my 4870 and a 216. truth?

Neither is really an upgrade..

GTX 260 Core 216, is about the same speed as your HD 4870 1gb, and the only edge it really has only thing it has over an HD 4870 is PhysX..

GTX 280.. while it is an upgrade, not worth it for the price jump, when your HD 4870 1gb does about as well (its still slower, but not enough to pay to buy a GTX 280 just for the extra FPS)

9800GX2, about the same speed as a GTX 280, but when you consider than in some games where it doesn't have SLI/CFX support it'll only perform like 1 8800GTS g92, which is considerably slower than your HD 4870 1GB

Far Cry 2 was glitchy and lame anyways
Stick with what you have and pick up a cheap 9500GT/ 8600GTS for PhysX and call it a day.. or get a GTX 295 (if your budget allows by then)

Actually a GTX 280 for $250 is quite a steal.. :) but coming from an HD 4870, its not much of an upgrade

its worth the upgrade if its mine for 250? :p

as long as there are no burn marks on it :p...yes

really here is the deal...
i've ran into driver problems like i had with my 2900Pro. i know i am not going to quote-unquote upgrade...
but i just think that nvidia suits me better at this moment in time until ATI comes out with a card that beats everything once again lol.
i know i am not really going to see a performance jump, im just trying to stay on the same level without spending any extra money, get it?

i will probably have no problem getting 230ish for my card w/the scythe, and i have a 50 dollar amex card from a client. so, 280. minus the ebay fees ha ha. i dont want to step down, i want to play the same field.
SO....
what are the pros and cons of these 3 cards:
gtx 216 55nm
gtx 216 45nm
9800gx2
which one is suitable for a replacement for a 4870 1gb? any of them? or is the 280 my only option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom