55nm vs 65nm core 216

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
which one? i've read the stock cooler aint the greatest on the 55nm...so it probably doesnt really run any cooler.
the 55nm is 10 bucks cheaper at the egg.
i'll probably wait for a free shipping deal.
thats right, i've decided its time to change graphics cards again.
opinions? thoughts? advice?

yes i am going to give evga another chance to win my love and keep it this time.

just saw EVGA 280 for 310 or something after MIR (which i hate)

EDIT 1: the 55nm also comes with FC2, thats cool.

EDIT 3: also have a 9800gx2 for two-fitty. thats el cheap. no game though. and its BFG...dont know bout them. our T.F. graphics rankings place a gx2 above both my 4870 and a 216. truth?

9800GX2 is on par with a GTX280, but if you play at a high enough resolution, the GTX280 should win out if the 9800GX2 runs out of memory.

thats a really good deal on the GTX280, TD has a BFG GTX280 for 295 AFTER MIR, you might want to check that out. I paid 300 for mine and i thought that was a good deal, so these deals are in the same ballpark but these are brand new. I'd say you go all out! GTX280!

but you're probably fine with your HD4870, why do you even need to upgrade?

the 8.12 catalyst drivers have me totally ****ed off. that, and its time for a change. i hate to say it...ATI wins in the graphic quality and AA department, but the ease of use and installation category definitely belongs to nvidia. i'll take the AA hit to not have to deal with installing my drivers 2 or 3 times just to get CCC up and going.
now, i play at 1920 x 1200...you say if the gx2 runs out of memory...it has 1gb (512 per card), and the 280 has 1gb. or does the gx2 actually only count as 512?
thats a smokin good deal on the gx2 as well...plus i researched and BFG now offers lifetime warranty and 100 day trade up, basically just like step-up. its on par with the 280, but i can get it for 50 dollars cheaper. plus, i can sell my 4870 and scythe musashi for enough to cover the entire cost of the gx2. i'd have to put in on a 280, and i dont think the wifey is all about that lol.

opinions? wanna order before 3:00 today so i can have it by friday.

OK take the 280 off the list, i just cant bring myself to buy one. i think i will wait a little while (like a day or two :p) and see if the prices are going to drop, even on the core 216. i really would prefer a single card solution (getting dual cards may be like trading one headache for another)....but just looking at the benchmarks and reviews it seems to me that the gx2 SMOKES. like 280 performace for 100 dollars less. at the expense of a little heat. heat? lol...like i care, i've been running a 4870 are you kidding me. i think if it comes down to it though i will choose the gx2 over the core 216. everything i have seen says the gx2 puts a hurtin on it, yes even at 1920 rez.

i dont know dual pcb cards seem to have more probs then single card one's. go with the GTX 260 core 216 55nm or the GTX 280. the 9800gx2 is 2 8800GTS's G92 put together.

yeah i know its two 512's. but what about the el-crapola cooler on that 55nm card?
basically what i am asking here also is this...
the gx2 i can get for 250.
the 55nm 216 is 275, not bad of a difference (but i worry abou the cooler...also doesnt the gx2 perform much better than the 216? - i dont play crysis...only, COD4, sins, GRID sometimes, pure, bf2, coh and the occasional blazing angels.)
so lets say i got the 216 55nm instead which is 280. still a lesser performer than the gx2, correct? but uses a little less power at load?
the 280 is like 330, and i aint gonna do that ATM so lets cross that one off the list.

dude..why did they raise prices so badly? last month they where like $250 for evga/xfx/bfg and like $215 for gigabyte n stuff....and most had a free game with them

if you can get the gx2 for $250 i'd get it..but if you can't get it that cheap get the core 216

well your not stuck with the crappy stock cooler on the GTX there are lots of good air coolers out there for the GTX series.

why was the muashi a piece of crap cause i was thinking of getting a little better air cooler for my 9800gtx, like the muashi, but the temps never break 55-60c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom