Need E-midwives to give birth to my first rig (I'm finally building it today!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3ster

Baseband Member
All my parts finally came in today. Thank you purolator for not damaging any of the components (well it looks okay so far, we'll see after we install all of em later). Here's what I got:

Intel Core i7 920
EVGA x58 mobo
Corsair ddr3 1600 3x2gb dominators
WD caviar black 640gb
Corsair 750tx
LG GH22NS30 DVD+RW
EVGA 9500gt (waiting on the new gtx295's)
Antec 1200
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM

I'm gonna be on this thread all day while I assemble my pc so any help and advice from you guys would be most excellent.

First Question:

I know this may sound really stupid but does anyone of you 920 owners know if the stock heatsink comes with a thermal paste? I just opened the processor box and I noticed that mine didn't come with one. I looked at the bottom of the heatsink and it looks like it has some thermal pads? (I haven't even seen one before seeing how this is my first time assembling a computer)

That is a thermal pad and it will work fine. If you plan to overclock later you will most likely get a new heatsink and you can throw some better stuff on then. For now it will be fine.

The thermal pads are the "stock" thermal paste method, and should work just fine.

That is a thermal pad and it will work fine. If you plan to overclock later you will most likely get a new heatsink and you can throw some better stuff on then. For now it will be fine.

Thanks guys.

Second question:

Should I install the basics on my motherboard first, then mount it on my case? Or vice versa?

It has always worked better for me, and seems more logical, to install the CPU/Heatsinnk before installing the motherboard. You will find yourself with a headache trying to do so when it's in the case. And it doesn't hurt to throw the ram in first either.

Install the board in the case first. Remember your breathing. How far apart are the contractions? This may help as well.

LOL I'm breathing, I'm breathing...... Deep breaths 1, 2... It's contracting up to 6 inches (I dunno if that's medically possible or not... just a wild guess) Looks like I'm gonna have to push hard later considering how the stock i7 cooler is a push-pin one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom