Looking for people to review my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Exile

Solid State Member
First off, thanks to all of you for looking at this, I haven't built a pc or even upgraded one in atleast a few years, and I guess you can say I'm wanting to get back into the game and I'm a bit nervous since this isn't some cheap rig *well cheap to me.* If you see any area of improvement as in making it cheaper, better hardware for the same price, suggestions, or it something won't work I'm all ears. This is a showing off rig *I believe that is the term* and its going to be used heavy gaming, heavy media work, and home media control center with any luck. A few optional things will be added later on, mainly the home media control center hardware. Programs I plan on using are mainly the latest adobe applications, some coding IDE's, and some 3D applications like Autodesk Maya 9, and anything else I have to use *going to college for web design/programming, game and simulation programming, and possibly 3D design. As far as budget, well I'm going to use my tax return, add on to my truck loan, but generally don't wanna pay anymore more then what I'm going to pay for the set up I have right now. I have no spare parts at all, not even cables or screws so if I'm missing a cables please let me know because this is the complete list of everything I'm ordering. Sorry for the long intro, now to the parts;

Tower:
Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

GPU:
Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G/A Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PS:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Heat Sink:
Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme Premium Heatpipe Cooler (Socket 1366) Products Model: ULTRA120-EXTREME-1366 [ULTRA120-EXTREME-1366] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Sound Card:
Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Optical Drive:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 12X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray DVD-ROM Model DH-4O1S-66 - Blu-Ray Drives

HDD's:
This one is for the Vista OS: Newegg.com - OCZ Solid Series OCZSSD2-1SLD120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II Solid State Disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

This is for all other data: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Ram (Getting another set later on):
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Wireless network adapter:
Newegg.com - ENCORE ENUWI-N IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 USB 2.0 802.11n Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Data Rates 64/128-bits WEP Encryption
WPA, WPA2
WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK - Wireless Adapters

Monitor:
Newegg.com - ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Wireless Mouse:
Newegg.com - Logitech G7 Black 6 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser 2000 dpi Mouse - Mouse

Keyboard:
Newegg.com - Saitek PK17U Black/Silver 104 Normal Keys 12 Function Keys USB Standard Cyborg Keyboard - Keyboards

Headset:
Newegg.com - ABS AZ1 Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound Light Weight Circumaural USB Gaming Headset

As far as OS is concerned I have 3-4 32/64 bit Vista Ultimate SP1 dvd rom's, planing on using 64 bit vista ultimate. I'm thinking about over clocking in the near/far future so that is something I'm trying to also shoot for. Also I heard a rumor, you can hook your computer with like 2+ cat5 cords treating each one as a separate connection which helps with latency issues, and as someone who has satellite for a ISP if this is true and can help me so I can actually play online I would be supremely interested in any more info and the hardware required for it if my current build doesn't have all the hardware required for it. Thanks again!

i would change motherboard to this:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
better overclocker, cheaper, only thing asus has on biostar is the name although in biostars last few boards they have been top of the line for great prices

better psu:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

the heatsink you selected wont work with i7 boards/cpus also even if it did work there are better ones
this is pretty much the best heatsink u can buy also works with i7's
Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme Premium Heatpipe Cooler (Socket 1366) Products Model: ULTRA120-EXTREME-1366 [ULTRA120-EXTREME-1366] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

imo raptor drives arnt worth the money, it is prolly a cheaper and better idea to get a SSD, ssd's are faster then the new raptor:
Newegg.com - Express Card, Solid State Disk, Solid State Hard Drive

the memory you have selected wont work well, i7's are designed for tri channel memory, aka 3 stick sets
Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

nice monitor great price too i might have to pick one up.

lastely u might consider a different case
alot of people around here like:
cooler master HAF(full tower)
antec 300
antec 900
antec 1200 (full tower)
cooler master 690
cooler master 590

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about that heat sinks. I'll have to take a look at those towers, I was going to to use a CosMos tower, I believe it was RS 1010 but my friend didn't like that tower at all I guess and wanted me to use that one I showed up.

Debating about downgrading on the CPU, I did that once already, I was actually considering the extreme i7

If I could find some noob tutorial for safely OCing the 920 with the equipment that I'm looking at right now I'd downgrade to the 920, cause I don't wanna spend that much on the 960.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom