What is a system builder os

Status
Not open for further replies.
"System Builder" versions are basically just the disk on a shrinkwrapped piece of cardboard. The price is much lower, and this is what you should be purchasing.

So what happens if you reformat? Does that mean you can only reformat 3 times?

You can format as many times as you like. But if you change out your motherboard/cpu it likely wont let you activate it. I'm currently running vista unactivated because its being annoying and is all po'd that i changed motherboard/cpu. Oh well, i paid for the license and i'm going to keep using it. At least you dont HAVE to activate it anymore.

You can format as many times as you like. But if you change out your motherboard/cpu it likely wont let you activate it. I'm currently running vista unactivated because its being annoying and is all po'd that i changed motherboard/cpu. Oh well, i paid for the license and i'm going to keep using it. At least you dont HAVE to activate it anymore.

What does activating it do for you, and can't you call microsoft to resolve that (even though a pain)?

OEM you get one license and it is good for only one install, retail is one license good for 3 installs.

I dunno:

Mak213 said:
The software can be reinstalled on the same machine a infinite number of times without using more than 1 activation.

I've re-formatted and re-installed about 10 times over 3 years.

What does activating it do for you, and can't you call microsoft to resolve that (even though a pain)?

Click here.

I haven't reformatted Vista yet, and when I switch out hardware I just call M$. Does it not give you a 30 day countdown anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom