Video Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maleek

Beta member
Hello everyone, I've got into a small problem with my current video card and was thinking of replacing it. I don't understand that much about computers, so I'd appreciate any help from you guys.
My current card is GeForce 8200 256MB. I've been told that to run a game with the graphical settings that I want [AOC] I need a faster card, 512MB video memory. My PC is Low Profile so the selection of cards I could find for it online + in my local computer store was very limited. The best card I could find was:
PNY GeForce 8600 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI Express, (Dual Link) DVI, VGA, Low Profile VCG86512GXEB
My questions are:
A. Can I somehow upgrade the memory on my current card without replacing it? [Like an add-on video memory] I'm pretty sure I can't, but worth a try :)
B. Will the diffrence between the two cards be noticable because of the speed doubling or is it still a minimal diffrence?
C. If anyone happens to know of a site that holds a better card at a reasonble price and recommends it, I will be very gratefull.

A)The simple answer for that is no! Unlike a mother board a card is designed with so much onboard memory only.

B)The 8600 is still a mid range series while you notice only a slight improvement being a newer model and the increase from 256 to 512mb.

C)The usual recommendation for seeing the best prices on individual items is at newegg. Newegg.com - GeForce 8 series, PCI Express x16, NVIDIA, Desktop Graphics / Video Cards, Video Cards & Video Devices

The problem being is that they are a little low on inventory at present.

Another thing will be a look at the board. The 9600 is a PCI-E 2.0 not 1.1 card like the 8200 or 8600 while it would still run in backward capability there.

For ATI the only low profile models in the 4500 series are the Sapphire model seen at Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100252L Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards and the Asus card at Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4550/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Those are in the same price range but are mid range models.

Another thing will be a look at the board. The 9600 is a PCI-E 2.0 not 1.1 card like the 8200 or 8600 while it would still run in backward capability there.

it doesnt matter, both of my 9800gtx's are pci-e 2.0 while my mobo is 1.1, you dont need full 2.0 unless you have a 4870X2

The card Stalin linked to is the best low profile card Newegg has. Even so, AoC won't run great on it. You will have to turn down the eye candy, as AoC is a bear. Anything less than the 9600 would run even worse for that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom