recommended heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billatron

Beta member
hi i just bought an amd athlon x2 6000+ with the stock heatsink. computer shuts off after playing games like css and dawn of war when the cpu temp reaches about 70 degrees celsius. i have applied artic silver 5 and have also tried the evercool buffalo cpu cooler...does anyone have any recommendations on a good heatsink/fan for an am2 mobo under $40.00? (other than the temp of the cpu the highest temp at full load is 41 degrees celcius so i dont think that the problem is the airflow in the case.

thanks

Are you ocing any? And just how much paste did you apply? These are the first two on that as well as how long you went before placing any load on the 6000+ after first installing the Buffalo cooler?

You only want to see a small bead of paste used. Fortunately someone provided a good set of photos for cleaning up hsfs as well as how to apply a thermal paste correctly at CPU/HSF/thermal paste installation guide - PlanetAMD64

If you smeared on too much or are ocing the 6000+ that would explain the high temps. The 6000+ has been in use here for over a year now and hasn't passed the 50C mark with all types of loads until lately where a fresh application will be needed. But no ocing either on this particular build.

the sunbeam core contract freezer, like said above is your best bet

also its alot better then the zalman ones that eyecpc recommended

Core Contact Freezer FTW! comes with TX-2 as well, so you'll be set! absolutely great cooler

the sunbeam core contract freezer, like said above is your best bet

also its alot better then the zalman ones that eyecpc recommended

Copper transfers heat far better then aluminum. The Zalman line sees large copper arrays.

The problem however could be from simply applying too much thermal paste. You only want a super thin layer as the photos illustrate at the link earlier.

The fact that the zalman is made of copper is irrelevant, tests have shown that the Core contact as well as plenty of other coolers are allot better.

The heat pipes on the Core contact are copper anyways, and unlike the zalman they are direct touch.

Copper transfers heat far better then aluminum. The Zalman line sees large copper arrays.

The problem however could be from simply applying too much thermal paste. You only want a super thin layer as the photos illustrate at the link earlier.

it has been proven time and time agin that zalman while good awhile ago is not good now, they haven't released a new design in years and they cost to much

why would i spend $60 on a crappy zalman when i can spend $30 on a better cooler(sunbeam ccf or ximatek rifle)

also it isnt all about copper, i know copper transfers heat well but heat pipes transfer heat better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom