Which MOBO should I keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
TPower I45 P45 ATX Motherboard or EVGA 780I SLI..

I am no longer deciding to SLI a GPU.. I don't think I would ever use the power now that there are single card solutions that run Crysis well.

I can't seem to overclock my QX6700 past 3.7GHz.. is this because the motherboard (780I SLI) is having trouble supporting 360+FSB? (or 1440 in BIOS)

If I used the TPower motherboard instead of the 780I SLI would I notice a huge difference in the ability to overclock my processor?

Overclocking with the 780I it seems like no matter what I do I just can't get it past 3.7GHz even though the temps aren't bad. I set the fsb at around 1450 and have the multi at 9x and just raise the multi from then on.. and it crashes at 11x (CPU=3987.5MHz). - Would the TPower board be able to do 362FSB * 11x no problem?

RAM is unlinked from the FSB at 1000MHz 5-5-5-15 2T type: PC2-8800 DDR2-1100 OCZ

I have put the fsb voltage at 1.5V (maximum) and the CPU at 1.6V! just trying to get it to POST.. with no luck..

if ur having trouble w/ your 780i and u dont want to sli why do you need help deciding what motherboard to keep???

if ur having trouble w/ your 780i and u dont want to sli why do you need help deciding what motherboard to keep???

I don't know if the TPower board would perform any better.. If it will perform a whole lot better than the 780I in all aspects then I'll use it. I can't open the box until I know some information about the TPower board.. I don't know how well it would overclock compared to the 780I I have now.. Is there anyone who can say that the TPower would slice through the 780I SLI like butter in an overclocking comparison?

The tpower is by far the better overcloking board. I'm not sure what the issue is overcloking you qx6700 or if the biostar will necessarily resolve it but in overall overcloking ability the i45 is a better choice..

^^ I'm not sure. It's not guaranteed since the cpu's may not be able to hit 4ghz regardless of the board that is used.

I just realized that the qx6700 were b3 reviosions so 3.7ghz may be the highest clock the chip is capable of.

I think your fussing a bit too much, a 3.7ghz on a qx6700 that's B3 stepping is a really solid overclock.

A Q9550 could do close to 4.0ghz, possibly break it, if you are lucky.

But addressing the question, a I45 would be better than a lame 780i. :)

I think your fussing a bit too much, a 3.7ghz on a qx6700 that's B3 stepping is a really solid overclock.

+1 pretty sure its not your 780i thats limiting you its your cpu, really dought u could get 4.0 24/7 out of a qx6700

but yes a i45 is a better board

I wish I could get 3.7GHz stable.. 3.7GHz is the maximum that I can boot into windows with.. I can get 3.5GHz rock stable. and that is what I am running at right now..

and I didn't want 4GHz 24/7.. Presentation tomorrow.. and 4GHz would look amazing.. lol anyhow.. I'll have to stay with 3.5GHz.. at least until I get a q9550..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom