Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a storage drive for a media centre speed won't matter you have the raptor for the main loading tasks. Also if you have the velociraptor atm would you mind using hdtune to get some speed results as I am considering buying 2 and raiding them or going ssd.

Not really assuming your going to install your OS and main games on the velociraptor it will make little difference. The speed difference is very minute anyway nothing that you will realise with real world performance

I bought 2x 500gb drives and regret it.. I am now looking at purchasing 2x 1TB drives this summer and moving my 2x 500gb drives to raid setup.

To put into perspective.. Sacred 2 Fallen Angel - 20GB of space.. Games are only getting larger, and storing them is getting harder hehe

Showing off :D

I should say so. I could understand one 1.5 drive for everything (including some DVDs converted to a file high quality files), but unless he's planing to join SETI to store ET data, who would any home user ever need over 3 terabytes of drive space. It's overkill, expensive, and illogical.

As i said on your profile the 750gb is the best price per gb if you keep the cheapest drives I think they were Western digital when I checked earlier but you can see for yourself.

4x750gb drives = 2.25tb of usable space with one drive lost as a striped redundancy across all drives. If one of the drives fails you can rebuild the array with the remaining 3 other drives. If 2 drives are lost at the same time then you will most likely of lost the data across all drives in the raid array.

I would use the 4x750gb personally I worked out it was
1.5tb= $11.5 per gb
1tb= $10 per gb
750gb&500gb = $8.3333**** per gb

This was worked out by saying 1tb= 1000gb which is ofcourse not true but easier for calculation. The price per gb for the tb+ drives would be higher then I put above but as I did the same calculation for both the results are valid for comparison.

lol. I haven't checked the prices, but I don't think that 1TB is going to cost you $10,000 :D

I should say so. I could understand one 1.5 drive for everything (including some DVDs converted to a file high quality files), but unless he's planing to join SETI to store ET data, who would any home user ever need over 3 terabytes of drive space. It's overkill, expensive, and illogical.

:rolleyes:

Each photography session I shoot takes 5-8 GB. I edit with Photoshop and save my psd files so inevitably 5-8 GB now gets a bit higher. Some of my corporate work takes 10+ GB per session. That's PER SESSION. I have well over 500 GB of older customer files alone. This doesn't include what I've taken of my OWN family which pales in comparison to everything else. I store externally and even some (very important high dollar work) online and the extra storage capacity IS needed.

I could go on but it appears it won't make sense to you.

I just got a 1.5TB Barracuda and an external enclosure. Tons of space. I'm considering buying another one for a home server. They are pretty good price per GB...I got mine for $120 on Newegg, better than you could do with 2 750GB's.

lol. I haven't checked the prices, but I don't think that 1TB is going to cost you $10,000 :D

:amazed:

Division: It's the new multiplication

I don't know if I'm more shocked by:

A) The fact that he didn't check his math by running his "calculations" backwards
or
B) It was missed by almost a page of posts... lol

By the way you did not read that he was planning on using the 2 drives in a raid array making it an effective 1.5tb.

But anyways 5-8gb per shoot I thought my wife went crazy with 3-4gb per shoot ;). I only have in the neighborhood of 300gb for family shots. For me it is the digital video that eats up my drive space.

Edit:
mike he was quoting in pesos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom