buying GFX card and maybe PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
My current system is in my specs, with a 450W antec smartpower 2.0 PSU.

I've been having trouble getting my video card not to freeze when it's idle on the desktop overnight, as u may have read in my post in the software forum.

So i was looking into getting a radeon card, either 4850 or 4870. And possibly a PSU.
What manufacturer is the best for radeon? sapphire?
Is the single slot 4850 that bad for heat? or should i not worry about it.

Psu, if i get the 4870 i think ill need a more powerful PSU, the corsair 550 VX with 40a on one 12v rail is a popular model here right?
How much better is the 550 VX compared to the 520 hx (modular).

My current system is in my specs, with a 450W antec smartpower 2.0 PSU.

I've been having trouble getting my video card not to freeze when it's idle on the desktop overnight, as u may have read in my post in the software forum.

So i was looking into getting a radeon card, either 4850 or 4870. And possibly a PSU.
What manufacturer is the best for radeon? sapphire?
Is the single slot 4850 that bad for heat? or should i not worry about it.

Psu, if i get the 4870 i think ill need a more powerful PSU, the corsair 550 VX with 40a on one 12v rail is a popular model here right?
How much better is the 550 VX compared to the 520 hx (modular).

A 450w Antec should be able to handle a single slot HD 4850. Sapphire is an excellent manufacturer, as well as Visiontek, Asus,Powercolor, MSI, they're all fine.

They don't get hot as long as you turn up the fan speed in the Control Center that comes with your drivers.

The only real difference between a modular and non-modular power supply is that you can remove unneeded cables from a modular psu.

it is better to have all the amperage on 1 rail, its more stable that way.

both the corsair 550 and 520 are great psu's, there both recommended alot around here, u really just have to decide if u want modular or not

Yea, you might as well get the 650 if you don't mind MIR, it's the same price as the 550. The 650 has 2 6+2pin PCI-E connectors, and more amps and watts.

if there the same price yea get the 650 better made psu

last i heard it went like this:
TX - non value... awesome.
VX - value but very good still

dont quote me on that though lol.

The TX is usually single rail, the VX is the value series and the HX is modular. If you are interested i'm selling a lightly used HIS 4870 :)

all the vx have only single rail also. just adding that in there lol

edit: HOLY CRAP when did corsair release a 850!

mmm so sexy 70a on single 12v... vdub i think u should get one. 130 after mir

how come it has 3 12v rails @ 18A but in the features it says it has 40 amps on 12v. 18x3 = 54

3 rails at 18A does not equal 54A total. You cant just add them up. You have to find out the total wattage spread over all the rails (get it from the specs on the back) and divide that by 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom