Raptors

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
I had a friend offer me a pair of Velicoraptors 150gb now these bad boys are normally £300 but he will sell them for £120 for both as they only have 3 years left on the warranty. They have previously been rma'd 4 times for one of them 2 for the other each time he got a new refurbished one but they just aren't reliable. Doesn't really bother me as I plan to partition both to 32gb and raid0 those partitions effectively only using 64gb and leaving the rest as waste space but that should squeeze out an extra 40% performance boost.

I however don't want the noise so I was wondering what the most effective way would be to dampen noise? Given that I have no spare 5.25" bays. I am considering putting them in a caddy then suspending the caddies on the frame somehow.

I would consider using something like foam insulation tape. One note from my experience with raptors which may not hold true with the velociraptors it that they are very fast and very hot. I have a 110mm fan pulling air over mine and they still get pretty hot. Just make sure whatever type of enclosure you put them in has some good airflow.

I was considering foam but then I have the new issue of heat aswell as where to put them. My case has 6 fans and I will be watercooling the cpu and gpu so the only thing producing heat will be the mobo and the hdd's.

I hope your ready to rma them a few times yourself lol. Thats been my experience with WD, just a lot of rma's

I was doing some more research on these and really they are 2.5" drives put into a heatsink enclosure therefore sound is minimalised, I think I should be able to stick them straight into a 3.5" bay with out having to worry about noise going to look up some more reviews first :).

I have the older 74gb Raptors in RAID-0 and they are very hot and very loud.

I built a PC for my buddy that had the newer 150gb and it was much quieter, but still very hot. That one had to be RMA'd but mine have run great for about a year and a half with no problems.

They have rubber washers you can use to insulate the drive from the brackets and that helps dampen sound tremendously.

I had a friend offer me a pair of Velicoraptors 150gb now these bad boys are normally £300 but he will sell them for £120 for both as they only have 3 years left on the warranty. They have previously been rma'd 4 times for one of them 2 for the other each time he got a new refurbished one but they just aren't reliable. Doesn't really bother me as I plan to partition both to 32gb and raid0 those partitions effectively only using 64gb and leaving the rest as waste space but that should squeeze out an extra 40% performance boost.

I however don't want the noise so I was wondering what the most effective way would be to dampen noise? Given that I have no spare 5.25" bays. I am considering putting them in a caddy then suspending the caddies on the frame somehow.

Unless you are using software RAID (and since it's RAID 0 I doubt you are) you will not be able to partition then RAID, you will have to RAID then partition.

Even then, partitions and RAID are not recommended together. I steer away from partitions all together. Had too many problems with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom