Computer Started Freezing Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

acco331

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm new to these forums but a long time computer hobbyist, I was wondering if you could help give me pointers on why my computer has started freezing randomly.

Processor: Intel e8400
Motherboard: Gigabyte GAEP35C
Video Card: 8800GT EVGA
Power supply (2-3 years old): Antec NEO 550W
Case: Antec LANboy Aluminum
CD Drive: Samsung Dvd combo Drive SATA
Hard Drive: Segate 320GB SATA
Memory: GSkill 4GB 5-5-5-15 PC6400

Ok, story goes that I've been using this comp for 6 months or so, and in the begining had no problems, then it started freezing randomly, so I reinstalled windows and thought everything would be ok. However now the computer freezes more than ever.

I took everything apart, cleaned/dusted it off, and put everything back together and reinstalled windows with full format again (legit license). Upgraded to SP3, downloaded all latest drivers.

Still freezes randomly. It might be just sitting there for 1-2 days, no problems, then will freeze. Or will freeze right when i open a webpage, etc.. very random.

I set motherboard to optimized defaults and it still freezes.

What do you suggest I do? Would upgrading the bios do anything? Thanks.

I also want to add I did Memtest86 v3.4 and there were no errors

As for Drivers, I did install Nvidia's new video driver during my install, and I did buy a new Logitech Revolution Mouse...

If your temps are normal, you can try running Memtest86+ as well:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Burn the ISO to CD, boot off of the CD, and let it run for about 4 hours minimum.

is there a big diff between memtest + and regular memtest? I ran the regular memtest and got no errors, took 1 hour 40 min.

I think temperatures are ok, here are the readings from SpeedFan:

At Idle:

GPU core 66c
Intel Core 1: 32C
Intel Core 0: 38C
Ambient temperature 51C

(It is pretty cold right now, even in Cali)

And my comp has been freezing recently, in the winter when its cold...

Please use the edit button. Do not multi-post.

Use MemTest86+ and run it for at least 8 hours. Your temperatures are fine. If MemTest passes then I would try a different nVidia driver. Either the CUDA beta driver 184.60 or an earlier version than 184.54.

Do you have a stand alone pc or is it networked.I had the same prob and it was a conflict between our two pc's

I also want to add I did Memtest86 v3.4 and there were no errors

As for Drivers, I did install Nvidia's new video driver during my install, and I did buy a new Logitech Revolution Mouse...

is there a big diff between memtest + and regular memtest? I ran the regular memtest and got no errors, took 1 hour 40 min.

I think temperatures are ok, here are the readings from SpeedFan:

At Idle:

GPU core 66c
Intel Core 1: 32C
Intel Core 0: 38C
Ambient temperature 51C

(It is pretty cold right now, even in Cali)

And my comp has been freezing recently, in the winter when its cold...

It's best to let Memtest run for a minimum of 4 hours, and a recommended of at least 8-9 hours. That way it fully stresses the memory and makes sure none of it has errors. Just leave it on overnight when you go to bed; easiest way.

I wouldn't trust SpeedFan all that much. Never has been all that accurate for me or other members here. Try CoreTemp or RealTemp.

I would also recommend going through our spyware guide just in case:
http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-11-13-2008-a-165828/
(post logs here: HijackThis Logs (analyze) - Computer Forums)

Hey, thanks everyone for the advice, these forums are awesome.

I was wondering, would a old harddrive or one that is faulty by anychance cause these freezes? I just purchased a new 1tb seagate and am willing to install it, but if this can not be the case, then im going to return it becasue I really dont need it other than for fixing my freezing problems.

I ran memtest + for 8 hours, no errors, and have run Orthos Stress (memory and cpu blend) for about 10-12 hours with no crash.

Its werid becasue it really only crashes when im not at the computer, or if im on the computer and am just doing light work (like surfing the internet).

Hmm, you could always try running a Chkdsk and see if that helps or not.

If you really want to see if a HDD is bad or not, get a copy of Spinrite (not free). I've fixed a non-bootable system before with it after it scanned the HDD / blocked off bad parts of that particular HDD. Works wonderfully.

Have you gone through our spyware removal guide just to be sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom