Ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I just bought another 2x 1gb of crucial ballistix off of ebay and was wondering if 4gb will work with basic windows xp? Also, will i notice a difference in PC speed with 4gb of ram instead of 2 in games like crysis, far cry 2 etc.? I'm a noob with RAM, Thanks TF.

With both XP and Vista on here I just swapped out a pair of 1gb dimms for a pair of larger 2gb dimms for the 32bit editions of each version of Windows. Neither noticed any significant gain.

The jump from 1gb to 2gb on an old build however when running XP by itself was where a large boost was seen there. XP ran better and programs loaded faster. A faster cpu and better graphics card usually sees the performance improved once you reach a certain amount of memory.

A 32 bit environment has a maximum of 3.5 GB of RAM, which includes video. So if you have 512mb of video, XP 32 bit will only recognize 3 Gig of RAM.

You should also ensure your MB supports that much RAM, some motherboards can only support a certain amount of RAM.

If your computer can support say 3.5 gig ram, a jump from 2 gig to 3.5 will definately be noticable assuming you have a decent processor.

4 GB RAM in 32-bit Windows XP and Vista 4GB RAM in 32-bit Windows XP and Vista

In both XP and Vista here I see slightly over 3.5gb total and about 2,8gb available once you deduct system processes and a few startup items. This is with a 512nb video card installed. Just about 500mb is simply mapped out to hardwares.

well 2gb is enough even for vista and you wont really see a performance at all, if so it would be minimal. but it should increase your load times a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom