i7 build overbudget. Where to cut costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea..like others said, get a $100 blu-ray drive---or ditch it altogether.

uhmmm get home premium instead of home ultimate UNLESS you absolutely 100% NEED it. I personally don't see the benefit.

uhmm..if you don't plan on upgrading to like SLI/xfire and want to OC the crap out of your system ...i'm sure you could do fine on a good 550-600watt PSU instead of the 750watt

(NOTE: i didn't read past the first page..so this stuff could be already said...to lazy to look but wanted to try to help anyway lol :] )

Thanks for the responses so far, this has helped a lot. I went out today to Fry's Electronics who are having a sale on the 920 for $220, $250 with tax. I also went ahead and bought the Corsair 750 PSU for $90. Right now things look good:

Intel i7 920 - $220
EVGA X58 Mobo - $300
EVGA GTX260 Core 216 - $250
G.Skill 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 1333 - $87 (this seems TOO cheap for memory, is there something I'm missing here? link)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - $90
2x WD Caviar SE16 500GB in Raid1 - $130
Antec 900 Black Case - $110
V8 CPU Cooler - $70 (any alternatives, this is sold out?)
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $6

All together, with tax and shipping I'm around $1,350. If there is anything else I've forgotten, let me know. I want this rig up and running a couple of hours tops after I get my package from newegg. Although newegg is being glitchy right now, showing nearly everything as out of stock.
Edit: They fixed the stock issue, but the V8 seems to be out of stock.

i think you can run I7 in duel channel..some boards might. BUT it's best to use it in tri-channel...so you'll need a try channel kit.

Care to explain?

Certainly - and before I start I would like to apologise if I sounded slightly aggressive earlier on.
RAID 1 is not a replacement for backing up in the same way that no RAID is a replacement for backing up. Backing up your data means making a copy of the data before something happens (that something could be something you do or it could be hardware or software failure) and putting that copy in another location. As with any RAID, RAID 1 leaves you with 1 logical copy of the file. Even though that logical copy is in two physical locations you have not protected your data against anything but the hardware failure of (most likely) 1 drive.
Suppose some sofware failed and it corrupted your data, with RAID 1 you would be left with 2 copies of some broken data, not ideal. Suppose you or someone else deleted something accidentally or even intentionally, again RAID 1 would delete it from both physical locations. How about if your PC is attacked by malware of some kind and your data is deleted/corrupted. What happens when you just want to roll a file back to a previous version (and you aren't using CVS). With a better imagination than mine I am certain you can think of many other examples where RAID would not protect your data in the same way an appropriate backup routine would.

yes a very good explanaiton kmote. RAID 1 is a good way to prevent loss of data, but not a good way to actually protect the integrity of the data. i totally agree with that.
if you have irreplaceable data on your drives, an external backup is the only truly fail-safe method.

Yeh good point kmote. In truth I had not though through it as thoroughly as your explinatation. It does make sense to invest more money in external methods for this reason, as raid 1 primarily protects agains HDD failure, which seems very low these days anyway. External backup does protect against a much greater variety of potential problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom