Just upgraded CPU, having crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman341

In Runtime
Just upgraded my CPU, 1066 FSB 2.4GHZ to 1333 FSB 3.0 GHZ

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
to
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Not exactly a ridiculously huge quantum leap in hardware but I'm suddenly having some instability issues especially in high power games (world or warcraft, team fortress). Game ran fine on Desktop for 2 hours before starting a game then I had a series of crashes.

I don't run anything overclocked. Voltages in bios are set to "AUTO." Memory timings AUTO. Most things are set to default or auto. The SLI memory setting in BIOS is set to CPU OC 0% so the SLI is enabled but the CPU isn't getting overclocked. PCIe speeds are set to 100 which is default.

Any ideas of things I could try to improve stability? Any obvious incompatibilities?

Thanks.

My specs for the record:

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Mobo
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
700 Watt Thermaltake PSU
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

I would put the old processor back in to see if it is the new processor causing this issue, or if perhaps there was another error in the system that just crept up at the same time as upgrading your CPU.

Can you check an error log?

What could I run to check or log errors? I had about 2 years of pretty flawlessly stable performance until this upgrade. Yeah it could be something else I suppose :X If it comes down to it I'll put the old CPU back in.

It could be that the system is starting to have the instabilities due to the hardware upgrade. Since it isnt the same hardware profile that Windows had for its install it could be the source of the issue.

Is this Windows XP? If so you could always try a Repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

yes, like mak said..it's a hardware change. Anytime you change something major like CPU or motherboard you'll have to repair the install

did you take the battery out of the board for a few minutes before changing the chips.

sorry to say but i dont think that the 680i nb had "offical" support for the 45nm cpu's try a bios update, also what are your temps?

I did not clear the CMOS but I will try that now.
I did set the option in bios (can't remember the name) to reset the configuration. Also reloaded default settings prior to that.

Temps are fine. CPU is running at 32C, MCP is a little hot at 57C, GPU at 53C which is about normal for my system. Case has plenty of ventilation and some pretty powerful fans, between 22C and 29C inside my case ambient.

Once I clear the CMOS I'll check for a bios update and also repair the install to be safe. I'll check back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom