Need help connecting my laptop to my printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PadaWaN5

Baseband Member
So, i got a question on how to print from my laptop and it comes out of the printer. I got a new laptop to christmas, and would like to be able to write documents on it. I can always copy the document to a email but sometimes that gets a pain if i have internet issues that day, So Im wondering if Im able to just print it from my Laptop to my printer.

what are the operating systems of the 2 computers in question? what model of printer? does it have an ethernet connection?

Are you using a router? Do you know anything about printer sharing over a computer network? If you're using a router that both computers are connected to, you can enable printer sharing so that your laptop can print via the printer connected to the other computer.

More info would be helpful. In addition to my questions, what's your answer to hefemeister's questions.?

All you need to do is ensure the computer in which the printer is physically connected to is turned on, then share the printer. Depending on your OS:

XP - go to printers, right click the printer in question and share it. Then ensure both computers are on the same network, then Add the printer on the laptop and navigate to the shared printer.

Vista - go control panel, then printers. Then right click and share that printer. Then go to your network and sharing center to ensure printer sharing is enabled and that the network is set to private. Then just add the printer on the laptop by navigating to the network location and adding it.

May have missed a few details, but you get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom