Starting from Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboyy

Baseband Member
Hi, tech-forums!!! I been browsing this site for quite sometime now, but I rarely post anything. My 6 year old HP Comp just crapped out and I need a new computer. I don't want this to be mainly about games because i have a xbox 360 for that. I'm starting from scratch so I need everything to make this computer runs dvd movies. etc. If anyone can suggest a built that best bang for the bucks for my needs I would be happy. Thanks ;)

If there a built that under 300 that would be great. I won't mind spending a little extra if it worth it.

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W 500W ATX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

All comes to about 403 bucks before a 30 MIR and shipping.

That processor has a lot of potential for overclocking, and the RAM has good timings. You could shave off a few bucks and get some cheaper stuff, but that RAM has the huge MIR, so I say it's worth it. And there aren't many processors cheaper than that one, and you won't get near the bang for your buck.

Also, that PSU should be able to handle throwing a video card in it later down the line.

Now, if you need input devices, that's really a personal preference on your part. The keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. Do you have any of that stuff? Also, a monitor? If you don't have a monitor already, I would suggest this one:

Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

sorry to mention but i already have a mouse, keyboard, speakers, and monitor so i can scratch that out.

That's cool. So then you just got the tower there. Little over 300 bucks, but 373 bucks after a MIR isn't bad at all, and it will serve you well.

You think I could use the stock PSU that comes with the case or it's recommended by others to upgrade?

Well, that case doesn't come with a PSU, but I would still say even if it did to get a different one. Stock PSUs are normally pretty lame and unreliable.

I added everything on the carts and it came out to 436.53 included shipping. Before I place a order does anyone else that can add to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom