Media PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickPapageorgio

Baseband Member
Now for my second build:

I have a home theater room with a large wall mounted plasma and seven in-wall/in-ceiling B&W speakers. My receiver and accessories (DVD, etc.) are in a closet. I want to build a Home Theater PC to go in the closet with my receiver, etc. I want to hook this up to my receiver via HDMI so I can watch movies on my plasma and/or listen to music - all from the PC stored media.

I've been looking at this case:
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel LC10B-E ATX Media Center / HTPC Case (newegg item # N82E16811163118) - $104.99

I plan on putting a Blu-Ray/Dvd/CD burner in there and initially 2 or 3 1.5TB Hard Drives with room for expansion (it will hold 7).

I need help with the motherboard, processor, graphics card, and memory selection; as well as anything else I might need. My thinking (and I am probably wrong) is I really don't need these items to be the newest or fastest, etc. because all I really want to do is power this thing so I can store my movies & music on there and watch them when I want to.

Thanks!

The case is $105, the PSU is $100, and the HDs I like are $120 each (x2 for now) so I am up to ~$450 already. I guess I could spend about $1,000 total and go from there.

(HDMI connection to my receiver is important)

does he really need a 4850 for a media pc to play DVD's and listen to music on? get something a cheaper gfx card and put the money saved to a better CPU, like the q9300

I was looking at this ASUS motherboard -
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q-EM LGA 775 Intel G45 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards ($134.99)
The reviews looked a lot better for a media PC then the Gigabyte.

I could use that with the E7200 -
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops ($119.99)

and for memory the Corsair has a $30 mail-in rebate bringing it down to $25.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

What do I do for graphics? Go with that 4850 or find something cheaper?

Something else - can't I rip Blu-Ray's onto my hard drive and play them that way (so I wouldn't need a Blu-Ray drive ON the Pc - ???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom