Building a high performance home server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay i changed it for this Gigabyte motherboard i have personnaly installed so i know it works. Its now $435.

I dont know if your going to get the email though (sent now) because i pressed send wish list/cart to >my email< and it never came.

BTW:

The motherboard is out of stock so its not in the cart. Its a GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H, try to get it somewhere else maybe or just go with your build if you think your happy with it since there is practically no price difference.

Here are the products, sending you the cart just makes it easier for you though.

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330-KKR1 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I wish true reliability ratings for hard drive manufacturers existed.

I generally go with seagate because of the 5 year warranty but that Spinpoint has good reviews with temperature and has 3 platters which is nice.

Im getting a TB spinpoint for my new pc, they are meant to be quite and decent performers. Ive heard too much of Seagates having problems since they moved plants to Thailand.

yeah i tend to stick to WD now, and samsung/seagate for some builds. im interested in turning my old Hp P4 system into a file server also. but i only have a 120gb hdd in there. but really thats enough for me, since i just need it to store music and other downloaded apps/torrents i dont need on my pc hdd.

I'll wait till the end of the year to build this. We'll see where prices go.

I want to deploy Windows 7 on all my parents computers (like all 6 of them haha) for networking ease.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll wait till the end of the year to build this. We'll see where prices go.

01-01-2009 11:41 PM

i lol'd

on a more relevent note, I plan to go with the samsung 1tb for my next build... I've heard bad about seagates since they moved to thailand, as well... even though my current sea's r fine.

If you get the E2180 CPU at newegg they have a combo adding a motherboard for $125 total with a $20 mail-in rebate on top of that. $105 for motherboard and processor is pretty good!

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I also saw some cheap systems on eBay using that E2160. Just search "E2160" and there are a few IF you don't want to build yourself.

------------------

Maintaining certain data is an issue for me as well. I am still debating between raid 1 and 5 and like someone else said above, you should get a good external hard drive and back it up yourself every so often. That with the combination of raid 1 or raid 5 should keep your data as safe as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom