'Y2K9' bug hits 30 GB Zunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
In the early morning hours of the final day of the year, many Zune users found their devices frozen on the logo screen, totally unresponsive.

The 30 GB Zune experienced a Y2K-like mass failure at around 6:00 am this morning, where the portable media player goes to the loading screen and freezes permanently. Zune.net's service status today warns: "Customers with 30gb Zune devices may experience issues when booting their Zune hardware. We're aware of the problem and are working to correct it. The Zune Social might be slow or inaccessible. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience."

Microsoft's Zune support forum has been hit with a mass of complaints, but the problem has yet to receive a public diagnosis from the Zune team. Hundreds of users have each reported the identical problem.

Prior to the holiday, Microsoft improved its Zune offerings first by cutting the price on its only three-month old flash-based Zune 3.0, and then by updating Zune Pass to allow users to keep 10 DRM-free tracks a month. Some optimistic Zune forum posters think this outage is a sign that Microsoft is working on a big update, the majority, however, are just irate.

Source

In other news...

People are using the 30GB Zune

(kidding)
^^^ I suppose that I should start the NY09 off with these so that people know that I have an extremely dry sense of humor... *sigh*

Next is the Vista-freezes-on-July-15th-2009-at-11:38am-bug :p. I really wonder how something like that would happen. Did some genius program the year integer to cap off at 2008?

It was a Leap Year bug in the firmware with the 30GB models. They are fixed today. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom