Installing a new mobo, couple o' questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

millsd44

Baseband Member
I'm going to get a new mobo (my 1st time getting a new one), the Abit AN7 Guru. I currently have the ASRock K7S8X and i believe it will be a LOT better performance. Links: Abit AN7 - http://www.dabs.com/UK/productview?quicklinx=2TCY and ASRock K7S8X - http://www.dabs.com/UK/productview?quicklinx=2FC4

So,
1. Will i have to format my hard drive and reinstall windows?

2. Will it actually gve me better performance?

3. Will i be able to overclock to a 3200+ (200x11)?

4. Will my ram be ok if it is value ram with this overclock?

well on the first one yea u would see a better performance if u reinstall and all that but if ur too lazy u can go to the windows xp repair console i think its called and do a repair thing and thatll configure xp to ur new board. Srry i couldnt be specific try looking around i heard it sumwhere in tf i think

1) You will have to reformat to obtain maximum stability.

2) That motherboard alone will give you better performance. And uGuru is very useful.

3) Yes you can overclock to 3200+, but you will have to change the stock heatsink/fan with something more powerful.

4) You can overclock value RAM to a certain extent. Your best bet would be to buy the Vantec RAM Cover, and some heatsinks. Very inexpensive.

Oh sorry it doesnt say in my signature but i already have a Thermaltake Volcano 12 Extreme Edition so that will be OK for overclocking

Yes it will. I strongly recommend using Arctic Silver 5, if you don't have it. :)

I just posted about replacing the stock heatsink/fan and what thermal compound should be used. You can find it here.

The difference in thermal compounds is how they are made. Some ingredience will have a much bigger impact on overall cooling. Arctic Silver 5 is currently the most effective.

Ok thanks, ill order the AN7 soon, and also some arctic silver 5.

PS I see you have the VGA Silencer Rev 3 so ill be getting that aswel :), considering you seem to know your stuff :nerd: lol thanks for the help

Not a problem! ;)

You will be very pleased with the VGA Silencer (Rev 3). I have been able to get some insane frequencies out of my GPU with it. It is by far, the most effective VGA cooler on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom