Crossfire and HD question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
Currently have the 512MB saphire 4870... just got a 24" monitor... was looking at buying a 1GB Dark knight 4870 to crossfire with it... to improve performance at the higher res... can I crossfire the 512 and 1GB? would it be better to do it the same... 512 and 512? should i sell the 512 and get a 1GB?

EDIT: Saw online you have to have same memory to crossfire...

if i did do this.. should i get the sapphire or the asus... does mixing brand have any ill effect?

and a quick off topic... would I see any noticible improvement adding a 10k RPM HD like a velociraptor when my 640GB WD has plenty of space.. enough to justify the cost?

Thanks, oh and if i could have found this by searching please just tell me what to search for b/c i came up empty... I can do research on my own if it is easier...

1gb will help a bit on a 24" monitor. CF 2 x 512's would be most cost effective though. since you already have one (if your PSU can do it).
no difference in asus or sapphire, except maybe price or warranty. sapphire has 2 or 3 years i cant remember.
no big difference with the raptor. no, its not worth the money IMO. if you gotta have speed go with an SSD for your OS and use the 640 for storage.

Well my G/F is getting me a card for my b-day... so technically one is free... perhaps I can get that 1gb card, sell my 512, and get another 1gb... I would like to improve my performance without braking my bank.. it feels like the single card is taxed playing some games on this 24"... was looking at upgrades in the ~200-250 range and figured another card is just about it without going i7...

what kind of mobo do you have?
2 512's will perform almost as good as 2 x 1gb unless you are going up to 2560 resolution...at 1920 they will be very similar.
what games are you playing that you are having problems with?

Well obviously Crysis... just got warhead... but where my 22" ran smooth with pretty high settings, I'm seeing slowdown an awful lot even with med settings... getting some on the new NWN2 exp, and the computer itself seems slower than it was now that i'm running 2 monitors... (is that to be expected?... never had duals...) - i put my specs in my sig..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom