Problems with PC start-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
it very well could be bad ram as mak has suggested. down load memtest86 and run that over nite to test ram to see if it's bad.

Nope, I haven't done any of those tests. How can i do that and what tools/ software do i need for that?

it very well could be bad ram as mak has suggested. down load memtest86 and run that over nite to test ram to see if it's bad.

Ok, memtest86. Would it take that long to run. I tell you if i dont use my pc for an hr or so, i can't use it unless i restart. It has same problem then -- PC starts up after 10 mins..

MemTest86 is a bootable CD ROM. So you dont have to be in Windows to run it. Along with that it doesnt have a screensaver from what i remember...

So it should be safe to run for you. But it usually takes about 4 hours or so of testing to get some decent results. Anything less and you cant really trust the results.

MemTest86 is a bootable CD ROM. So you dont have to be in Windows to run it. Along with that it doesnt have a screensaver from what i remember...

So it should be safe to run for you. But it usually takes about 4 hours or so of testing to get some decent results. Anything less and you cant really trust the results.

Okay cool. So that means i have to get that CD. Can't i just download it and run it side by side working on other things also. Is that possible?

Not that i know of. I dont think it can be run in a Virtual Machine or anything like that. I have never seen a version of it that runs in Windows either.

I do know that Ubuntu LiveCD has a MemTest on there as well. That could prove to be useful. Could possibly do it with the LiveCD and still use Ubuntu off the CD while it is testing. Never tried it personally.

Memtest86 - Download Page

MemTest86 download page for ya.

Not that i know of. I dont think it can be run in a Virtual Machine or anything like that. I have never seen a version of it that runs in Windows either.

I do know that Ubuntu LiveCD has a MemTest on there as well. That could prove to be useful. Could possibly do it with the LiveCD and still use Ubuntu off the CD while it is testing. Never tried it personally.

Memtest86 - Download Page

MemTest86 download page for ya.

That help is much appreciated. Thanks Mak213. Really wana give reputation to you but don't know if this forum allows that.

Cheers man

We dont have a Rep system in tact yet. One of the many features that we have to look into. ;)

On a side note. Sorry about the confusion with the IP thing. ;)

Didnt know the situation and i just responded. Glad it is sorted now.

We dont have a Rep system in tact yet. One of the many features that we have to look into. ;)

On a side note. Sorry about the confusion with the IP thing. ;)

Didnt know the situation and i just responded. Glad it is sorted now.

Thats ok. I can completely understand. If i am at your place, i would have done the same thing. I am glad that you guys actually understood the problem and get it sorted for us. Really pleased and my interest towards this forum has grown now. I am newbie in hardware stuff and basically into Online marketing. It would be great fun to share views here and on the other hand learning can go on and on with help of great members like you.:)

That is what we are here for. I am not the hardware guy mainly the Windows Geek. But i know my way around a PC. Built quite a few in my day.

Ever any questions. Feel free to ask. We will do our best to answer, or make something up that sounds really good. ;)

That is what we are here for. I am not the hardware guy mainly the Windows Geek. But i know my way around a PC. Built quite a few in my day.

Ever any questions. Feel free to ask. We will do our best to answer, or make something up that sounds really good. ;)

Yeah sure buddy. I wish to get my avatar sorted first, hehe. So, whenever my post turn 40 i think i might have privilege.

Happy New Year....:happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom