Verifying Dmi Pool Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

winblowz

In Runtime
About one out of four times when I turn on my computer I can't get past the part where it says "Verifying DMI pool data"

normally it says that and then just boots into windoze, but sometimes it just says

"Verifying DMI pool data..........."

and then stops.

Any Help/ideas are very much appreciated.

thanks a whole lot!
:)

what os is it?
sounds like a boot sector problem. download a windows 98 boot disk and then boot with it. at the dos prompt, type "sys c:" and after you get "System transfered" reboot. Should be ok then.

Thanks mb for your insight. In my experience, i've found that fixing the mbr resolves most of these occurances. but, if it doesn't winblowz, then by all means, try and troubleshoot bios settings, harddrive, cables. I can almost guarentee that it's not the RAM.

how about clearing NVRAM? seems to me if you cleared NVRAM and it boots, then for some reason the info saved in the CMOS is not matching what is in the bootstrap info, course usually should take you right into the bios setup... anyhow, if the saved bios config is not matching then it can cause a few problems... of course, if thats the case you'll probably get this every time you cold boot.

lol....yea sorry that was a bold statement. It can be the ram and yes, it's easy to test the ram removing an additional stick or replacing it with another all together. I guess i've just had the opposite experiences. in the few times i've seen this inconsistant error (sometimes EVERY boot) it's always been the same thing for me. and mucking with the ram is usually the first thing that i do. so, yes, it could be the ram.....but i wouldn't exhaust the other possibilities either.

I've seen where this happens only on a cold boot, then it usually turned to be corrupted bios or CMOS dying, because would boot after clearing NVRAM, or during a warm boot but would cause this problem on a cold one. that was after a fdisk /mbr or fixdisk for xp failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom